why am i having random nightsweats?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello

i am a healthy 22 year old male who keeps fit and doesn't smoke

1 month ago i was having random nightsweats where i would wake up sweaty across my chest and between my thighs, at the time i was drinking alot and the doctor ruled it as an alcohol related problem. it went away but for the last week it's come back again and it's basically got me worrying, i do drink a fair bit at the weekend and is more common on a monday, tuesday and wednesday night so i was just wondering does this sound like alcohol related night sweats to you? i don't want to go back to the doctors again to be told the same thing as it's a pain sorting it with work... i sometimes get anxiety and i have no other symptoms and i think it's unlikely to be something like hiv, let me know what you think. thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it could be alcohol, as your doctor mentioned, in fact a most serious cause of night sweating is alcohol consumption. Though night sweating is annoying, it is harmless. But it may represent an underlying medical condition which must be diagnosed on time. Diabetes, infections like HIV/cancer, COPD and even certain antipsychotic medicines can cause night sweating.  You should be more worried, if your night sweats are occurring without exercise and are very profuse like soaking bedclothes and blankets.

Reduce alcohol consumption and avoid spicy food at dinner time. Managing any stresses in your life is important as the stress can build up throughout the day and result in night sweats. To help regulate the internal temperature of your body, drink at least six glasses of ice water over the course of the day.

• Posted

anna

thanks for this im going to see how it goes for the next week, gonna change around my exercise routine and see if that affects it and cut down booze over the weekend... im also on doxycyline as i have an epidymitus (2 week course been on for a week) which may have caused the night sweats as apparently it's a side affect for both.... will take things further if it gets worse

thanks a lot !

• Posted

Hi Rob. I would definitely ask for some tests. My partner and I are both type 2 diabetic and we both suffer from sudden sweats (him at night, me evenings). My partner also has copd but if you are not getting any other symptoms then I would'nt think it is that. My only other advice would be. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids in the mornings after sweat attacks as you will need to replace what you have lost. Otherwise you can end up feeling like you have the flu! Good luck, Debbie.
    • Posted

thanks Debbie!

what are the other symptoms of diabetes other than night sweats?? i have no family history for that condition

thanks !

• Posted

Hi Rob. Other symptoms of Diabetes can be: Excessive itching (sometimes general but I tend to get it in one place. Feels like a bad gnat bite but with no red lump)!, Dry mouth, increased weeing and sudden mood swings, especially if you go more than a few hours without eating. Some people get all of these and some people have no symptoms at all. If you are tested, make sure they do a proper blood test, not just a finger prick. Mine did not show up with the finger prick and I know several people on the diabetes forum have said the same.By the way, diabetes does not always run in families. Hope you feel better soon. Debbie. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.