Why can't I get a glucometer??

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I've had a really bad experience with my surgery. Two days ago I had a very serious hypo and woke up in my room, twitching and rolling around so violently that i smashed my head several times and got a black eye. I was in this situation because I've lost my glucometer, and I can't test my bloodsugar. I went to a hospital walk-in to make sure I've not had a concussion, and the doctor was very worried for my sugars and told me that I needed to get a meter ASAP, and that I could walk in to my surgery and get one. Today I called my surgery because I wanted to come and get it. From what she said to me I understood that she was gonna book me in with a nurse in 3 days, then MAYBE I'll get a meter. I said that I need it now and tried explaning the situation and how I'm baically afraid to take my insuline, to get that hypo again. She very rudely told me that she would get the doctor to call me after the surgerys opening hours. It doesn't seem like I'll get my glucometer today. Why is this so hard? Why do I get told that I can just walk into my GP ASAP and be able to get a glucometer when I can't even do that? I thought this was considered more important! I'm sorry if I am double posting or should've posted this somewhere else, I'm new to this site!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That is a shocking situation and yet another case of a receptionist dictating patient's care.

I worked with a colleague for 17 years who's diabetes was totally out of control at times and sometimes when collecting him from home in the mornings if he didn't come out of his house within ten minutes I dreaded going in and often found him thrashing about in  his bedroom.  As his nominated keyholder (he lived alone) on two occasions I arrived to find the kitchen stove on fire because he'd gone hypo whilst cooking.  In the office I was constantly dragging him from under his desk and so on and so forth.

I'm Type 2 myself but fortunatel don't have your sort of problems.

However I can fully sympathise with you and hope you get sorted very quickly.

• Posted

This is something I simply do not understand. I am Type 2 diabetic.

However I have not been given a meter to check my blood sugar.

Oh they say, you don't need as meter unless you are on insulin you are only on tablets.

OK but do I still not need to know what my blood sugar levels are?

Don't get me wrong here, I amnot a worrier, but I just like to know.

Sarah

• Posted

I'm Type 2 too and on Metformin 2 x 500mg per day.

My doctor told me I can't possibly have a hypo because of the tablets and also said that I don't need to test my bloodsugar so I guess there's a bit of a consistency there.

However I often feel a "bit shaky" and in need of a sugar boost as my intake is so low now.

• Posted

I am also type 2 diabetic and I was initially given a meter by the hospital but when I got home my GP like yours said I did not need to use it as I was on tablets and so would not get hypos. The following January (2015) I was really poor so used my meter anyway and discovered my reading was 20+ over 3 days spoke to my GP and he said I had ti take my reading regularly 4 times per day for the next 2 months whilst he increased my tablets from 2 metformin per day to 4 metformion plus 4 gliclozide. Once it was stable he again told me to stop taking my blood sugars regularly. In January this year, I had to go into hospital for an unrelated reason and it was disocovered that my blood sugar was again far too high (20+ and occasionally over 30) so I was put on insulin as well as tablets and my GP cannot take me off my meter now.

However, I am still extremely angry that he insisted that I did not need to take BG reading whilst I was only on tablets. I think my story shows how impoertant it is to take BG reading regularly if you are on tablets.no matter what the NICE guidelines say. Yes you do need to know what your Blood sugar levels are. How can you keep them under control if you do not know what they are?

• Posted

Good thinking Gill - I just hope I never need to use one but it is all a bit confusing to a 75 year old.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Have you managed to sort one yet?

I have a spare one I won in a survey I can send it next day delivery if that would help you?

• Posted

That's very generous and kind hearted of you Ricusk2

• Posted

You need to speak to the despensary at your doctors and they will probably let you have one,thats how i got mine and im a type 2 diabetic.
    • Posted

Not all doctors (including mine) have a dispensary and my local pharmacy will not give out meterws, they say meters have to be given out by doctor or hospital.
  • Posted

I know this thread is a bit old but this may help someone.  When I was diagnosed as type 2 in May 2016 I immediately went to a local pharmacy and bought a meter for $18usd  and 50 strips for around $40.  I then began the process of using my medical insurance to get additional future supplies.  But, they were so confused, like they had never done this before.  I waited 6 weeks before they finally sent my supplies.  My copays are so high that I have found it cheaper to buy my strips on ebay, of all places.  I can get 100 strips for $30, free shipping to US.  No insurance headaches.  The meters on ebay can be found for under $10.  So I just wanted to share this as an option.  Sometimes you just need to look out for yourself.  One car accident or fall could be much more costly.
  • Posted

The test meters can be bought from most pharmacies for about 20 pounds, however the test strips are expensive, about 50 pounds for 50. I get these on prescription though cos I am type 1 diabetic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.