Why do GPs fail so miserably at diagnosing this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, just come across from the IBS forum where I've been sat for the past 6 months trying to figure out what's been happening to me.

I now know it's celiac but no thanks to my GPs, who dismissed it out of hand right at the start of the process and frankly I find it disgraceful how many others have had the same treatment.

When I mentioned celiac in one of my appointments I got a sarcastic tone from the doctor and a quote along the lines of "no no, the symptoms don't match, sign up for CBT" whereas looking at the sites now there's a whole list that were bang on the money.

The fact the diagnosis can be a simple blood test makes it all the more infuriating, why are they deliberately holding this back whilst quite happy to call out "IBS" without any form of checking?

To me it's incompetant to the point of negligence, anyone else agree?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS 34 years ago. In those days, not many people had heard of coeliac disease. I did manage to control my symptoms for a long time,  but eventually it had an effect on my body, together with developing another auto-immune disease. More recently, around 6/7 years ago, my symptoms got a lot worse and even a blood test was negative - a lot of people have what is known as 'false negative' blood tests. I have under-gone a lot of investigative work since that time and it was only through having an endoscopy with biopsies taken that I finally got my diagnosis. So it's not that surprising that people don't always get the correct diagnosis. I wouldn't call it negligence, but as it is known now, that blood tests are not accurate, they should now, as a matter of procedure, offer everyone with symptoms an endoscopy instead of assuming it's something else.

I'm sorry that you too have gone through a rough time.

• Posted

Dear Egs,

It is annoying beyond words - HOWEVER, WE ARE VERY REAL.  I suppose after a half a million dollars in schooling, and books, a mortgage debt that will last forever, the need to have an office and equipment to match the very best medicine has to offer, and a lifestyle “marketing tool”that screams success while in reality it is full of daily financial challenges, "some" doctors just can't stand thinking they don't know something.  “It’s a silly tummy ache by over-reactive hypochondriacs and sympathy seekers.”  My comment is riddled with sarcasm but think about it this way.  For years many of us have been fighting the myriad of symptoms that Celiac Disease has to offer.  We’ve been to the doctor any number of times for each.  With each bout of “symptom”, the doctor says go home, rest and it will go away.  And, they go away only to return again for some unknown reason.  Of course, we KNOW the reason NOW, but doctors only see us through the lens of bias ignorance about the digestive disease that can slowly kill us.

Yes, it is annoying beyond words but the medical community is beginning to take a second look.  Some doctors (mine included) have been experiencing annoying sicknesses all their lives and now realize the too have Celiac Sprue.  Hang in there.  We may not change the medical community as quickly as we wish, but we can immediately have support and respect from those who suffer.

Bundles of hugs,

Laurie

• Posted

Hi for every body

I agree above two friends their thoughts and I would sharing all who have

celiac disease through my journy with this disease.

After one meal at rusturant before 8 years i had severe diarrhea.

After serious of visits of 4 GI doctors and made all tests and endoscopies ,Ct-scan

in high ranks hosiptals till 2015 .All Doctors fail to diagnosis my disease and in addition they gave me a lot of medications (crohns, intestinal TB, and others)that increase my symptoms and i reach to death edge .Why?? because they didn't know what inside me. so i stop any medication since 2015 . i visit nutrition doctor

to make Allergy tests . At first time i know what is my disease , it is non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) . this disease is the main of diagestive system allergy and detected by blood sample only not by Biopsy.

Celiac disease is a part of NCGS  and can be detected by Biopsy through endoscopy procedure. I am sure there are thousands of patients struggle and suffer many years ,spent money, and took wrong medications as that happened with me.

My recommendation is : every one  must acheive his disease by himself more than follow the doctor advice ,when the later misdiagnosed his case. Any one who have any misdiagnosed disease must try eating food  without bread or any food have not contain wheat. The best way of preparing food is the KITCKEN in the home to make your food that mostly from meat,chiken ,lettuce,and fresh fruits.

My wishes for all patient and sorry for my bad English language 

• Posted

No....they are not failing.......they are doing exactly what they've been trained to do........make us ill and then 'cure' us! The multi billion pound pharmaceutical industry pays huge incentives to the GPs to keep dishing out the drugs and then the side effects of those drugs make us more ill and so the doctors give us more drugs and they make more money and so it goes round.  Coeliac just doesn't play the game .......no pill is going to make us better; so...... far better to misdiagnose us......bung us on antidepressants for years. 

Cynical? Don't get me started....I am livid about the way I have been treated my entire life (I'm 55). I was finally diagnosed 2 years ago and although I feel so much better off gluten I have a legacy of attributable illness and my immune system is shot.

You are right......it is negligence but a whole industry is built on it and there is just too much money to be made.......until that changes Coeliacs will be fobbed off. 

My advice.......keep away from GPs......they're dangerous.

See a good Gastroenterlogist, dietician, Coeliac nurse but most of all educate and look after yourself.

There are a lot of us......and it's time we fought back at this ridiculous system of abuse.

Best wishes

Lyn

• Posted

Lynda01728,

Please forgive what might have appeared to be a passive response.  it iw with much passion and restraint I comment.  A healthy body-builder through my 50's, absolutely clean in my workouts and diet, excelling in natural foods, I had a massive heart attack and was pronounced dead on the table - well, to the extent that the doctor told my wife she would have to make arrangements.  THAT is when all the terrible symptoms I'd had since my childhood hit with full force!  I was eating 3400 calories a day and went from 186 pounds of muscle to 132 pounds of weakness in six months - remember, all this while still eating 3400 calories per day!  I am passionate about our fight.  Your words are spot on!  The medical industry does not make the dollars it can make from other diseases - I have to agree.  I, however, want to encourage everyone of us to stick together - here and elsewhere.  WE KNOW our disease.  Our families know something is not right.  Enough of our stories put together and we have a movement!  

Bundles of hugs,

Laurie

• Posted

Oh hunny, I am so with you!  I am 57, was dx'd with CD a little over a year ago and my immune system is shot too. Before diagnosis, doctors were giving me Xanax and antidepressents. I was fine with the Xanax but the anti D's were horrid (racing heart, sweating, panic), but they said to keep taking them, the side effects would eventually deminish, but after 4 weeks they did not and I stopped them all.  

I am furious with the medical community. CD is the most common autoimune disease in the US (not sure about other countries), and all they test for when you have symptoms is RA and Lupus.  If they can't find anything there, they send you on your way. SHAME in them!  

Like you, I stay as far away from docs as possible and except on rare occasions, I eat only whole foods now.  No sugar, gluten, artificial and "natural" flavors (even in organic!) etc.

I worry about all the pestisides, GMO, and who know whatever other garbage they inject into our food supply. 

Eating is dangerious! eek 

• Posted

Realy i agree with you about the bad food found in the market from the first days i came to USA due to comparision with middle east food .  i am sure that most diseases are the results of eating these foods (99 percent of all market foods ) . We (all people) need to urge the gov. to build new laws for food companies and farmers to produce natural healthy food have no hermons,no GMO ,  no antibiotics that given to animles . this is only first step. followed by new laws for resturants ,processing food companies,and food stores.Finally encourage families to cook food at thier kichens ,at least at week ends..  people health decline as quality of food decline and numbers of people who have unknown diseases currently increased . most these diseases either autoimmune or functional which not found before 2 to 3 decads.I pray to all people who have no opportinuty to find healthy food or have no abilty to purchase expensive organic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.