Why do I feel like I always have to pee?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had confirmed IBS for about 6 months now and I have been able to maintain my flare ups through diet and exercise. Here lately though I've been noticing that I feel the urge to use the bathroom even though I don't have to go that much.

Also when I hold my pee for any long period of time ( like when I'm sleeping) I will get a massive flare up that can last for hours after I relieve myself.

Is this normal?

If so, why?

What have you done to ease the urges and pains?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've also noticed my stomach hates for me to sleep on my sides. It starts growling deeply instantly.
  • Posted

Hi, my tummy wont allow me to sleep on my back. it is really sensitive to touch and sometimes even the quilt covers hurt to have over me. 
  • Posted

Hi, i too control my IBS with diet and exercise. i dont experience the problem with peeing that you describe. although i do have sudden urges to use the bathroom if ive eaten something i shouldnt have. or if ive eaten too much food. i only have small portions or my tummy cant cope. at the moment the spasms i am experiencing are horrendous and so painful. 

some foods have hidden indgredients, such as egg or nuts, which will make my tummy urge for the toilet or give me cramps. IBS is very personalised to each individual and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. 

• Posted

I know how you feel I also need to wee all of the time and if I don't go and try to hold it in it is so uncomfortable it starts to give me pain sorry can't suggest any help but your not alone go back to your doctor they may give you something I'm going to miss.e in a couple of weeks

Good luck

Lynn

• Posted

Sorry can't help you very much with that , except that I find liquid Aloe Vera really does help to calm things down. But what works for me , may not for you , so check with your doctor if it is OK to take.

Good luck and get well soon !

• Posted

This sounds to me like cystitis. Check if you have a urine infection. Also drink plenty of plain tap water. I think people tend to get this more in the cold weather, I certainly do.

Hope this settles down for you. Sarah

• Posted

Sarah,

I have had an UTI before and this doesn't feel the same. I don't have pain when I urinate or afterwards. Its almost like a pressure on my bladder from my stomach that makes feel like I have to pee. My stomach is bloated and inflamned from what feels like gas after peeing once I've held it for awhile.

• Posted

Hi Annah,

I have the same issue with the peeing.  Firstly when my IBS started 15 years ago - once i got my IBS controlled through diet, I managed to control the peeing and got into a routine.  My main issue was at night and stopped me from falling a sleep.  It took me a good year to get the IBS under control with an elimination diet and to retrain my bladder.  i would need to go once after getting into bed and then i would wake up at 4/5 in the morning to go and then again when i woke.  which was a good balance between getting enough sleep and for the symptoms to stay managable. The key for me was to accept it would never be like it was before the illness when you coudl go the whole night with out getting up.

I think that the same things that irritate the bowel irrate the bladder, both are controled by soft muscles that seem to work independantly from the brain so to speak, so it stands to reason that there could be a link between the two.  Well thats my theory im no doctor. 

I think for some people it takes a long time for your system to adjust and the heal from whatever is happening to it as it did me.  

I tried an eliminition diet however there are so many variables that its sometimes impossible to know what it is, if your IBS is food trigured.  Doc just told me to stop eating wheat - he was totatly wrong.  I ended up doing a blood intorlence test and for me at least it was money well spent.  It picked out alot of triggers that could possibly be causing my symptoms once i started working through them if hadnt already.  It all came under control, after 5 years of being extremely strict with my diet i started to reintroduce things and found that if i only ate small amounts say every two or three weeks i would not have any problems.    What im trying to say is that at least for me once i got the diet where it should be the bladder problems came under control too.

However i have had my first flare up over the last two months same symptoms with the gut and same peeing issues and im now on a path to find out what is causing it .  Ill keep you posted.

Im must stress though removing foods from your diet is really dangerous if you dont replace them with an alternative that is just as nutrious.  Thats why it took me a long time to get it under control because you have to try things and they dont always work.  

But at least in my case i did get there and had a long period with relatively minor sysmptoms that did not bother me and i could lead a full life.

• Posted

annah93007, I also have IBS. And I think I experience something similar to you. If I hold my bladder even a couple minutes after I have the urge to pee (like if I am in the car) by bladder feels so much pressure like it is going to explode. Then once I do pee, that feeling doesn't go away for hours or sometimes days. My stomach bloats like I swallowed a basketball and I am also very crampy and gassy afterward. Have you found any answers or anything that helps?
  • Posted

I get very similar, feels like I need a pee all day even when I have just been and had a urine dip test and no UTI or blood detected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.