why do i have to pay for my vitamin B12 injection?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently i have been diagnosed with low vit b12 and been prescribed injection which i have to purchase and take it to the nurse to inject it twice a weeek.

I have previously had vit b12 injections once a month but they were free. I was told by my GP that i am very low in vitamin so will need it twica a week for 3 weeks then every 3 months. 

My question is why am i paying for these injections, shouldn't it be free on NHS?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It should be free on the NHS, especially as you have a diagnosis of low B12. Maybe a good idea to contact the Pernicious Anaemia Society website, there is a phone number on there, and they can advise you. They may also intervene, on your behalf, with the GP. Best wishes Marion
  • Posted

Not sure why yours aren't free Julie - mine are.    But perha[u]ps[/u] it's because I'm a lot older than you ?
  • Posted

Prescriptions aren't free for most of us, so why would B12 be different?

I haven't paid for mine. The doctor said they would probably be able to use their own stock and so I wouldn't have to pay, but gave me the impression that I might have to pay in future. Perhaps they're only asking you to pay because you're requiring an increased dose.

• Posted

I think the issue here is that they were free when you were having them once a month. I wonder what the reason is for the change in introducing a charge? Is it just down to the frequency increasing for three weeks? If the GP can't explain, you can contact the local CCG for an answer.

Mine are free as I also have a thyroid condition, which allows free prescriptions. Also at a certain age you are entitled to free prescriptions.

Perhaps the GP has just been asked to cut costs, and is looking at ways to do that. Best wishes Marion

• Posted

My first 6 injections which I had on alternate days were free and subsequent 12 weekly injections have also been free.  As I've said before - perhaps due to my age.
  • Posted

hi, I've had b12 for years and my last 2 I haven't had to pay for and just went to get my 3rd lot and they charged me for them! I have never been charged, it's quite annoying! absolute joke, sorry just needed to rant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.