Why does a new hip fail ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

In a few days ( 1st replacement 24/2/17) I will be worrying about how to make my new hip last as long as possible rather than worrying about the operation itself. 

What I want to know is do THR's generally fail at the connection between stem and bone, or is it the ball joint itself that wears out ? In other words is it the number of revolutions of the joint that make it fail or is the level of impact that loosens the stem.

I would love to return to low impact sports such as swimming and cycling but wonder if this can wear out the ball joint prematurely. I would like to get 20 years use if possible before revision.

Anyone wth an opinion or first hand experience please get in touch

Paul

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cycling and swimming are great. Go for it. Just avoid high impact, running long distances and jumping out of planes. Your new joint should last 20-30 years but there are always some that go much sooner.
    • Posted

Thanks Steve - 20-30 yrs should see me through to the next generation hip replacement made from artificial bone that regrows itself ( maybe )
  • Posted

I warned not to run after receiving my new hip and apart from the very occasional time kept to this. My GP also suggested a daily dose of cod liver oil which I've taken these past twenty years. No idea if it helped as I have no way of knowing but it lasted for the twenty years although I've been very active working in farming and building.

Good luck,

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard

your hip has lasted 20yrs and you work in farming and building? - amazing. My trade is as an engineer on building sites which isnt really heavy work just lots of mud and rough ground. My consultant has told me to give it up. How heavy has the work you do been pls? If I could go back for a couple of days a week or say do one week in four, it would help the finances as I have always been self-employed.

thanks Paul

• Posted

Hello Paul

The farming has been on a small hill farm on very steep land so much of the time walking has meant walking across slopes. Looking after the sheep means quite an amount of physical work also stuff like fencing and quite a lot of heavy lifting. Cutting down trees etc. There is nothing light weight about this sort of farming and of course the sheep need to be handled and lifted and restrained and feed needs to be carried to them...bales of hay and concentrates all quite heavy also unloading hay lorries and carrying and stacking all by hand.

The building work has involved me in all trades right through building in stone which involved getting the materials up onto scaffolding to then use. Roofing which meant re-building the whole roof structure followed by tiling. Using slate and heavy real stone tiles. Plastering, underpinning, mixing many lorry loads of morter and concrete, installing septic tanks and deep drainage runs etc.

I hope that gives you a sense of what I've put my replacement hip through over the twenty years. It might be worth me saying that I only weigh just over ten stone but am pretty fit.

My total ankle replacement has recently failed after four years but that is due to bone cysts caused by Osteolysis.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

That gives me real hope reading what you've been able to do with your new hip.

I'm a horse owner which although not on your scale, still involves pushing heavy wheelbarrows, stacking hay bales, mucking out and many other heavy manual jobs about the yard.

I'm only 7weeks post op and have a friend doing my horse for me at moment.

At least having read your reply I know I should be able to get back to normal eventually.

• Posted

Glad that it helped you and good luck with your recovery.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Paul

I agree with Steve at least about cycling. Swimming is more complicated as if, like me, you mostly do breast stroke the leg action may be uncomfortable. But I've done loads of cycling on my hip including the Outer Hebrides, Bordeaux wine chateaux and London to Brighton.

I'm more worried if I will last another 20-30 years than if my hip will!!

Mike

• Posted

Haha - I have been swimming lots lately with a shaped float between my legs to keep them still so they dont get too sore, This allows me to do either breaststroke or crawl with my top half and is great exercise.

Do you consider hillclimbs on the bike are more impactful than is wise - I always seem happiest when heading for the hills on my bike

Cheers Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul. Like you i want to maximise the longevity of my new hip and 2 months on I'm cycling and swimming and hill walking. As long as you stick to low impact sports you will be fine. Sorry not able to answer what makes hips fail other than high impact sport. Good luck !

• Posted

Lovely to hear you are doing all the things I really miss at the moment though - thank you
  • Posted

Hi.

I don't know for sure but my physio said that swimming and cycling are good exercise as long as you don't do breaststroke until 12 weeks. She said that the reason for having hip done is so that you can get back to doing your usual activities and be pain free.

I have my own horse and want to get back in the saddle again but will have to wait until 12 weeks.

All the professionals I've spoken to day it should last about 20 years depending on the type of prosthesis your surgeon used.

Mine is in cemented with titanium stem,ceramic ball and plastic socket specially coated to encourage my own bone to grow over it.

My op was January 3rd this year.

• Posted

I never felt comfortable on a horse after I had the hip done. Pushing the leg sideways was uncomfortable. Shame, but my old horse is now eating grass in horse heaven and I don't think I get another one.

Mike

• Posted

Great to hear you are already planning getting back on the horse ( metaphorically and physically ) Is there any reason they chose to use a cemented stem - mine has chosen non cemented. I wonder whether the cement means it is less likely to loosen - which is my biggest fear.
    • Posted

Hi Paul,

It was the computer got it wrong it put 'in' instead of 'un'.

My prosthesis is uncemented as well. Like you I was unsure about it and worried it may loosen.

What I was told was that because I'm younger...60! They always do uncemented as they coat the cup with a powder that encourages your own bone to grow over the cup and its more secure. Also in 20 years time when it needs replacing it'll be easier to take out than if it had been cemented in.

• Posted

I also had an uncemented thr being 55 at the time. I rather dread what I may be facing if they are not able to just replace the poly as I understand the ultrasound can be used to remove a cemented prostethis. The idea of removal where the bone grows around the prosthesis as in my case fills me with dread!!

Cheers

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.