Why does my vision shake whilst looking closely at things?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For as long as I can remember, whenever looking at things closely (say about

In inch from my face) my vision slightly shakes from left to right. It doesn't actually affect how I see things, it's just annoying. It seems to be worse in my right eye, when I'm tired and when reading mainly black ink on White paper. I'm 23 and had my eyes checked about a year ago which was all fine apart from having a slight astigmitism which has gotten better.

What is this condition? I read somewhere it's to do with my brain trying to hold both the eye images together or something.... Is it common and should I worry ? Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's probably connected to fatigue and if your eyes have been checked out recently and you're only 23, the last thing you want to do is start worrying.

Don't worry. Leave worrying to your old age and meanwhile enjoy life!

• Posted

Hi! You have a nystagmus, from the sound of it...mild though since your visual acuity isn't affected. It's the way your eyes work together...or don't. I have the same - I can't cross my eyes and when I try they just shake. I'm rubbish at hitting baseballs, tennis is a bit easier for me but still a challenge. As my eyes track an object and it comes closer, they stop working together.

When did you notice this? Do you get dizzy?  This is probably just "a thing" to deal with and not a big problem. But, if you have this suddenly, if you're dizzy or feel like you have other issues surrounding it, then see your dr. again or maybe a neurologist. You're a healthy 23-year-old so it's probably just the nystagmus! You can google it and here's a link from this site (below). Eye docs don't always test how your eyes track across a page or from far to near...so this is something to ask about at your next eye test.

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=nystagmus&searchcoll=All

Good Luck! smile

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I've always had it I think, I remember from a young age reading books and noticed the letters would jolt slightly sideways if I looked close enough... It was only until recently when I started thinking about it and asked other people who responded that they didn't have it. When I had my eye test I didn't mention anything about it simply cos I thought it was normal but surely they would of noticed something at the time? Is this sort of thing fairly common and is it anything to worry about? I've noticed it is worse when I'm at work, tired or stressed. Thanks!
    • Posted

I sometimes read the same line a few times or skip a line while reading. Ophthalmologists don't seem to test for things like that (visual tracking, visual-motor issues). Some Optometrists do, but I think you have to ask. My son had an eye that turned out so he's been to about seven eye doctors in five-six years, but my issues were just mine to deal with. 

What we have is muscle-related and yes, they can fatigue like any other part of the body. There are exercises you can try at home, although results for adults are mixed at best. We took a gamble and paid lots for professional vision therapy for my son and it did pay off smile He reads like crazy now and just turned 8. I read to fall asleep because it tires me...

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.