Why has Mirtazapine stopped working?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Any advice appreciated, I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg now for around 2 months to help with anxiety but more for insomnia, worked brilliantly up until 2 nights ago when bam could not fall asleep and the same last night. I am already feeling the anxiety worsening because of the fear of not getting to sleep. Anyone help please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you, this is, or was my problem i.e. INSOMNIA.  The very thing that fuels insomnia is the fear of it, like "OMG how will I cope if I can't sleep", and "I must get back to sleep or I will be in bits" etc etc ... been there Lisie.  Are you UK?  This topic has been covered expertly in the Daily Mail every day this week.  If you google Daily Mail and read the article from Professor Jason Ellis you'll be on your way to helping the initial insomnia.

Back to the present tho' ... its odd that Mirt stops working after a couple of months I think, although not unheard of.  Has there been any changes in other meds or alternative supplements?  Avoiding Grapefruit,Passion Fruit, Pommegranite (apparently) maybe there are more fruits I'm not sure.  Avoiding coffee, chocolate, just any caffeine really, and of course alcohol.  

Whatever you do don't suddenly stop taking Mirt, a slow decrease is always best.  

Lack of sleep always leaves me with anxiety, that's why I was on Mirt also, having taken Mirt for over a year and another year to come off it I'm trying the methods above now.  

Hope a little of this helps, because when you come off Mirt' eventually its best to have some tecniques practiced and ready.  If I can do it anyone can smile  

• Posted

Mine is exactly the same, the fear of not sleeping fuelled my anxiety and each night was simply awful, the Mirtazapine worked for 2months (15mg) but the last few nights I have been unable to fall asleep and I can feel the anxiety increasing. I have read the articles in the DM and always had good sleep hygiene habits. Just one day (and night) at a time, just hoping for sleep tonight, thank you for your kind words
  • Posted

I have been taking 15mg  mirtazapine (with venlafaxine) for a year and half now. I am sleeping very well, but, occasionally I will still have one or two nights that I just can't seem to fall asleep and stay asleep. Most nights though I sleep very well. I know it's not easy to try and relax so you can drift off, but give the mirtazapine a few more nights and see if you can sleep again. Let me know how you are doing.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

10 minutes ago

Not a good night last night, took Mirt as usual but just lay there for so long, I am so fed up as it was working so well with helping me sleep, however I know it's my anxiety causing this, the anxiety has returned and toward bedtime ramps up, feels like a brick in my chest, I try to calm down but worry so much about not falling asleep sad

0 Reply

• Posted

How long have you been taking mirtazapine? It may take awhile for you to get the full benefit. If after a week it still doesn't seem to be helping, maybe your doctor will change the dosage or try another med. 

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Not a good night last night, took Mirt as usual but just lay there for so long, I am so fed up as it was working so well with helping me sleep, however I know it's my anxiety causing this, the anxiety has returned and toward bedtime ramps up, feels like a brick in my chest, I try to calm down but worry so much about not falling asleep sad

• Posted

Had exactly the same thing. My body had gotten used to the sedation and also anxiety was still high. Happened to me several times no sleep for 2 nights. Doctors answer was to give me sleeping tablets for those nights

You have to take Mirtazapine the same time everynight and you need to be tired. 

Try and do as much exercise as possible to tire yourself out during the day.

You will sleep eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.