why is my hair falling out

Posted , 8 users are following.

last few months I am losing so much hair.  Its all over the place. Started taking biotin.  HELP.. anyone have any answers to this. Is it the steroids, i am on 3 mg.  Is it another autoimmune?  So not fun.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Are you on Methotrexate? That seems to cause hair loss.
    • Posted

Just a thought. Initially I had terrible trouble with my hair, not only was it falling out it also turned to straw, having had fine greasy hair up until then. It is improving at a lower level of pred. I am taking folic acid which is supposed to improve your hair as well.
    • Posted

I am only on 3mg and its getting worse.  My ANA came back pretty high, anyone know anything about that.  My sed rate was 7.
    • Posted

My hair fell out quite early on. It was like straw but so thin. It started to come back in about 2 or 3 months ago and is in better condition. I am now on 5mgs. I don't know why it would happen when you are on a low dose.

• Posted

now I wonder if it from the cholesterol medicines simivastin.  anyone know anyhting about that. thx
    • Posted

Hair loss is listed as a possible side effect from simvastin.

• Posted

simvastatin

• Posted

Are you taking Simvastin and pred? It is not a good idea and even the manufacturer Pfizer mentions it on their website.
    • Posted

Hi, my hair just over the last few weeks has done the same : ( not only was it falling out it also turned to straw ) I'm on 24mg pred and tapering: was on 40mg hair ok then, I have also started a blood thinner tablet the last 3 weeks for a blood clot: Maybe it's that also. I will sauce some info : Thanks 

• Posted

can you please explain to me why it is not a good idea to take simivastin and predisone  together.  Guess my Dr. thinks it is ok.  Do you think simivastin is making my hair fall out.  i read it does.  Guess my Dr. doesn't care.

• Posted

Apparently simvastatin oral will increase the level or effect of prednisone oral by affects how the drug is eliminated from the body (via what is known as the P-glycoprotein [MDR1] transporter). There do seem to be quite a lot of reported problems taking the two together. I know some people take statins with no problems, but Simvastatin does seem to be the one that should be avoided.

Hair loss has been reported with both Simvastatin and Atorvastatin although the statin Crestor seems OK as far as hair loss is concerned. 

• Posted

I don't know about hair loss - but how did your PMR relate to being on simvastatin? It is listed as a known adverse effect of that particular statin - and probably others.

• Posted

I have very high cholesteroal and she  insisted I take it, or i would have a heart attack. I was 20MG every other day. Went from 283 to 206. I realized last night since i haves started it my hair has been falling out.  I have stopped taking it as of today.   now she is suggesting  crestor.  Once again so confused with all of this.
    • Posted

I won't get into the pro-anti statin discussion here - but there are varying attitudes to a woman with no history of a "cardiovascular event" being put on statins. The evidence seems to be that taking a statin in that case doesn't actually reduce the risk of a first "event" (as they put it). Once you have had one - then it does reduce the risk of a repeat event.

The effect of lipitor on me after just a week was such that nothing would induce me to take any statin in case it happened again - it took several months to recover. I take nothing - with the blessing of the local cardiologist!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.