Why shingles recurring when experts say it is a one time misfortune?

Posted , 10 users are following.

It is all over internet that shingles is a one time occurance and happens to about 30% of older people mostly with compromised immune system and a very rare second time for a small minority with really weak immune system but never a third.

In my case I have had cases of recurring shingles on my left hand palm 4 times already since May. It always starts with pain in my left arm and sensitive to touch skin around my left wrist and fingers having a tingling feeling followed by a cluster of small blisters which join up later to form larger blisters becoming sores (red) a week later and falling off the following week. Fortunately there are mild with some sharp pain but small and same area on my left palm rather than face or large area on other parts thank God. I always start anti-viral right away and it goes away fast.

However what has been said by experts worry me as it is supposed to be a once or twice in a lifetime occurance and for those with reasoned compromised immune system like cancer, HIV, Lupus so is it possible that I may have some hidden infection too? My blood count was normal and tested negative for a wide range of STDs recently and other than these shingles attacks I am healthy but what has been said as stated above about shingles being a one time occurance in healthy people worries me a lot.

Please share your comments or advices and thanks in advance.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry what I was asking above was if there are people who also have experienced recurring shingles but are otherwise healthy with healthy immune system (unlike what the experts say). I don't know how to edit my post above to add this clarification so I decide to add this post.

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

I had shingles over 25 years ago.

It recurred when I was in contact with someone whose grandchild had chicken pox and I had GCA.   I immediately contacted my GP and was given the 'within 24 hours protection' and it worked.

The NHS website makes it quite clear that shingles can and does recur.  Where were you looking?

• Posted

LodgerUK,

Please, please, please, look at this article!!!

I don't know if the link will post you can always Google the title and find the research paper....

New Evidence of Varicella-Zoster in Giant Cell Arteritis

Pauline Anderson, February 20, 2015.

My name is Thinsport,

I have recurring shingles but I am otherwise healthy I practically have shingles every other week since I turned 54 for any questions. Before that I started having shingles occasionally (like every few years) it started when I was 12. I am constantly researching I tried to contact the the Doctor Who did the research because he lives in Denver unfortunately he died last year. I wanted to talk to him because I think the shingles can manifest in other ways also. People just don't know about it. For instance, I always seem to have sciatica but not when I take the shingles medicine it goes away completely! I'm not the first person to say this, I've seen other people saying the same thing on other forms. This article talks about the possible connection between shingles and GCA. That Varicella-Zoster (shingles) is actually being manifested as GCA. Just Google the title and you should be able to find the study. I will try to post the link in a reply after this one.

• Posted

Hi Kevin. I have reoccurring shingles and actually am off to the doctors again tomorrow as i think it's back yet again! Yes, I agree, apart from this wretched 'thing' which makes me feel like something indescribable I was fit and healthy. I'm sick of doctors saying it's not a repeat occurrence just because there is no rash just the symptoms. Wish I get hold of the anti. Vitals more easily.
  • Posted

Hi Kevevin, I am 63 yrs old and have had recurring shingles since my 20s about 5 or 6 times a year. I cannot take the antiviral meds as they make me really sick, so I just have to grin and bear it. 18months ago I payed for the vaccine and have had shingles about 5 times since. But I have to say they are not as painful and don't last as long. Other than that I am very fit and healthy my Doctor said I am just unlucky but was not surprised at recurring shingles. Hope your's clear up soon.Take care. xx
  • Posted

Thanks so much for responses and sharing.

lodgerUK I did look at NHS website and though it mostly attribute shingles to those with weak immune system it does say at the end that healthy young people can catch it too. I was not aware of NHS website as I am in Canada so I have been mostly looking at websites available here when researching for shingles causes and symptoms and treatments.

Barbara I am glad that based on your personal experience being fit and healthy can have recurring shingles too. Thanks for sharing. It is possible to order antiviral online if you have difficulties seeing doctors as the medication must be administrated within 24 to 48 hours of symptoms.

My thanks also to ukulele for sharing. Sorry to hear that you can't take antiviral but at least the vaccine has helped you a bit. Nice to know there is another fit and healthy person who has been having recurring shingles and I am not alone.

• Posted

Kevin

It is possible to alter your profile but you have to use no more than 15 characters.  How about Kevin-Canada and then we know which country you are in, that is why some of us have UK and I added NE to indicate to people in the UK I was in the North East.   Just a thought becuase when we know which country you are in we then know you have different systems.  smile

• Posted

Yes, an interesting question Kevin. I wonder if it's a good idea to get the vaccination if it keeps recurring?

I've had shingles once last April, but don't want it again!

Anne

• Posted

Morning! Firstly what a good idea re location, I'm in Essex in the UK. I've had shingles umpteen times in the last 22 months. GP most unhelpful about the vaccination and said I would have to outsource it myself! Have heard from others tho that its of no use and to save my money. Hope this helps. X
    • Posted

I have received mixed messages about vaccination. While my family doctor said the vaccine will not provide any more immunity than the live virus that I have now in my system, however there are others (both in other forums and on the net) who say it is effective in preventing recurrances. I am still thinking about getting one once the present symptoms go away. Here in Canada it is free so I don't have much to lose.
  • Posted

I am jumping into this discussion as I want to share something with you and wonder what you think. Today I was told by a friend that she stopped her shingles completely by taking the amino acid lysine. She gave me her tablets and I have taken 2 doses. I am taking them because in April I started the shingles on my chin and in my mouth. My tongue, lip and chin still tingle. Worth a try I think, what are your thoughts?

Barbara

• Posted

Actually I was taking lysine for a month and up to about a week before my 4th round of shingles started last Saturday. I have re-started taking them again. Not sure if lysine was a factor or not because shingles comes back once a month (begining of every month since May) and its timing and frequency did not change. So the jury is out on them. A lot of material on the net recommend taking lysine for HSV virus and since shingles virus is of the same family so it may be good idea to take them too.

I did see a walk-in doctor for Valtrex today (my own doctor is on vacation) and he also told me recurring shingles is most likely attributed to badly compromised immune system and asked me to see my own doctor to be checked out. When I asked him if there is a test for cancer, his response was negative!!!!. However, I did told him that I was encouraged that I read in this forum about completely healthy people to have recurring shingles and he said that too is possible. I don't think that doctors know much about shingles.

If you are having recurring shingles and are otherwise healthy please continue to share your experience. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Thanks Kevin. I have only had it twice. I hope you feel better soon and also get some answers. You are right about the doctors though. Mine sent me to the dentist who said I had shingles. Back at the doctors I was told she 'was not convinced it was shingles' while I refused to budge till she gave me the prescription for the anti viral meds. It is the worst thing I have ever had.

Take care

Barbara - UK

• Posted

Dear Kevin-Canada,

I think that this information could be very helpful (maybe even comforting and reassuring)

Shingles should not always associated with having a poor immune system or being immunocompromised. That kind of ignorance is what makes having chronic shingles (I have chronic shingles or reoccurring shingles) so embarrassing. I'm not a doctor but my sister is and she confirms all this information. Shingles and reoccurring shingles is prevalent in the immunocompetent (not a typo) population I have probably had shingles at least 30 times starting at the age of 12. Also, during both my pregnancies. As I get older I seem to have it more frequently unfortunately. I have also had the shingles vaccine which only worked for about nine months then I had a case of shingles that was the worst I've ever had! Other than have a reoccurring shingles there is nothing else wrong with me. I'm very fit and healthy otherwise. I just want to let you know that you're not alone if you're having / experiencing shingles or have reoccurring shingles. Here is the information that you might find helpful my apologies that is so long but shingles is a very complicated thing... For decades, medical wisdom about shingles has been that it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The commonly-held belief is that patients are protected from a recurrence of the herpes zoster virus, which causes shingles, after one episode. But according to recent research and/or studies about shingles they have found that this is not true. For example, a study published in the February 2011 issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings shows that recurrences of shingles may be significantly more common than doctors have suspected. New Medical Studies have found and prove that recurrences of shingles are prevalent in the immunocompetent population. "It's been thought that recurrences were limited to people with compromised immune systems, for instance from chemotherapy or blood-borne malignancies, but this is not the case," "Recurrence was prevalent in the immunocompetent population. We were very surprised by the results." Unfortunately, a lot of doctors are not up-to-date on the most recent research about shingles. There is still so much that the medical community needs to learn about shingles. "Shingles has a mind of its own and does what it wants to do".The bottom line is No One Knows exactly what causes a reactivation of the virus! If they knew exactly what caused it there probably wouldn't be this forum. You could have a good immune system and get it. You may also have a poor immune system and get it. It is also common to have reoccurring shingles if you have an auto immune disorder for example, lupus or MS. Some of the other speculations / research published in medical journals suggest these things may contribute to reactivation of the virus but like I said before they do not know for sure

Some other reasons people might have reoccurring shingles 1). Having experienced injuries or nerve damage also seems to raise the risk for shingles, since within the nerves is where the virus lays dormant. 2). Some research suggests that traumatic stimulation of the nerves in the dorsal root ganglion can trigger the virus to reactive. 3). Some people also seem to be genetically predisposed to the development of herpes zoster to some extent, with research showing that changes in the gene for interleukin-10 (an immune-system mediator) are associated with an increased incidence of herpes zoster, as is a family history of the virus. 4). Finally, the impact of high amounts of stress and poor gut health shouldn’t be overlooked. Psychological stress, chronic stress, or dramatic life events seem to contribute to VZV reactivation, with studies showing an association between physical, emotional and sexual abuse and higher incidence of shingles. According to a report published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, contributing psychological factors for shingles development include financial stress, inability to work, decreased independence and an inadequate social-support environment.

I am always doing research to find out more more information there are a lot of other people out there like us that are healthy but otherwise have shingles. I read the most interesting study a few weeks. The title of it "New evidence of varicella-zoster in giant cell arteritis" I am constantly researching I tried to contact the the Doctor Who did the research because he lives in Denver and I also live in Denver Colorado. Unfortunately he died last year. I wanted to talk to him because I think the shingles can manifest in other ways also. People just don't know about it. For instance, I always seem to have sciatica but not when I take the shingles medicine it goes away completely! I'm not the first person to say this, I've seen other people saying the same thing on other forms. This article talks about the possible connection between shingles and GCA. That Varicella-Zoster (shingles) is actually being manifested as GCA. Just Google the title and you should be able to find the study. I tried to post the link to another woman I had emailed some information to because she said she had GCA and shingles so I thought it was important for her to see it. Anyway I was not allowed to post the link it is being moderated. You can probably Google the title of the study I mentioned in the beginning and the one at the end good luck to you. Try to stay positive I know it can be difficult at times.

Thinsport-Denver, Co.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.