Why won't they help me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been on anti depressants for years, have had extreme obsessive thoughts.

I go back to the doctor today to tell them 150mg of sertraline is not working for me. Im so tired all the time even after a full night sleep.

All they doing is sending me for another blood test and maybe change my medication after that.

Tbh theres so much more I wana say to them that I cant squeeze into a 10 minute appointment.

Half the time I dint even leave the house. I just have no drive or motivation. Then sudden bursts of energy.

I want to be referred to a psychiatrist but they won't do it.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My eyes hurt so much when im tired all aching.

Im so moody to everyone and have caused some serious sh*t by saying horrible stuff to family members, that I cant control.

I feel so alone.

• Posted

Definitely aounds like my symptoms of bipolar.. why wont they refere u to a psychiatrist? You may need to mess around with meds for awhile before you find something that works for u. It took me MANY years to find a combination that worked for me.. finally i found cymbalta and seroquel and im a complete different person.. although after 4 years on thise meds they didnt have the same effect on me and i had a mental break down now im on effexor and ambien and im even better than before. Good luck to you sweetie if u ever need anything dont be afriad to message me
    • Posted

Hi,

Are you based in the UK? How did you get referred. I dont understand why they think I should be on anti depressants for 8 years now. Tried different ones on and off over the years.

I feel so trapped and no way out. Cant believe life should feel like this.

Last year I was so ill with ocd thoughts. I was locked in a room for 4 days was wearing a dust mask. But I didn't get referred.

Its so hard. When in having my really down days. I can scream. Lay in bed and think whats the point. My own mum doesn't even want to see me as she says im delusional.

I just don't know where to turn without making a huge scene because of my kids.xxxx

• Posted

Im not diagnosed with bi polar but I feel strongly I have it. My grandmother was bipolar and spent majority of her 20s in a mental institution(when the locked you up back then).

My brother was mentally ill. Not diagnosed with anything other than depression but sadly aged 25 he walked onto a dual carriage way and died.

I have been battling with my mind for so many years im 30 this year and have two young children.

Im very afraid that my behavior is affecting them.

I don't want to walk into the doctors and be like hey I think I have bipolar etc. But at least refer me for special treatment.

I told them today im up and down. Moody and extremely tired.

My ocd thoughts are being controlled with the sertraline. But im still depressed.

I have to tread carefully as I have children and am now a single parent. I dont want them to be alarmed with my actions. But I am feeling constantly battling. My mind is taking over me.

• Posted

Well I'm not trying to scare you but if you tell your GP that and they refer you to mental health teams usually bring in social services for support

• Posted

What do u think I should do?
  • Posted

It's only your GP that can refer you to mental health services if your in the UK. So you'll need to go back to them and tell them everything . But to be honest most people aren't aware that they are mentally ill. I didn't realise I was until I was sectioned and medicated and it took a long time for me to accept it.

• Posted

If I wasnt so familiar with mental health through the growing up watching my grandmother suffering and my brother so suicidal then actually walking out into a dual carriage way then I probably wouldnt recognise it.
  • Posted

Sarah

You can make a double appointment, that will give you a slot of twenty mins.

Make a list of your problems, fears and concerns before you go to the Appointment. You will find the list will help you explain your needs and you will cover more problems you need explained

BOB

• Posted

I have yet another blood test tomorrow to see why im so tired. Then I will book back for another appointment again. Today I just felt I wasnt taken seriously at all.
    • Posted

I have written a further thread for you a few mins ago. I know how you feel I have been having tests and Counciling for twelve weeks and have a further two weeks with the CPN. Then I have a further six weeks at home for tests to confirm I have no dementia.

Keep a hold, Good luck for tomorrow

BOB

• Posted

You can ask your GP you feel you need a voluntary Section so they can check you over. Although personally I would not wish to go that Pathway

I have not tried it, normally a referral will be made by a Crisis Team, 

Explain your activity at home, and your concerns regarding your condition.

Sometimes I can feel irrational and when that happens my Wife gets worried and She phones the Crisis Team and they are out and about with in about twelve hours or less.

Personally I am always wary of the Crisis Team. I am still having treatment and I will be taking further tests for Dementia in the next four weeks. The test generally take 5/6 weeks in the home as are the CPN calls

BOB

BOB

• Posted

Rung the doctors today and asked the reception for the results of blood test. Two things borderline and to discuss with gp at next appointment.

Well I don't know what they are as the reception wont tell me anything, even what a blood test tests for.

So now I must wait till Tuesday till appointment. I feel so tired today I can't even drive my eyes literally feel like they have been punched it hurts to even move them.

I hope on Tuesday I can discuss some of my symptoms again as I just cant even move from the sofa.

• Posted

I really feel like you need an antidepressent I was feeling so similar to you in the fact that I could not move from the sofa....and my Dr. prescribed an antidepressent.  I am in the US.

Is it possible to find a different medical contact that will listen to you? why do you have to stay with this medical team? I don't understand the UK systems that much so forgive my ignorance.

• Posted

Ive been on anti depressants for 8 years and tried three different ones.

Im currently on 150mg of sertraline.

The uk system is basically a service where you dont pay any direct money from your hand and in return a doctor is on a yearly salary.

They also have a budget to stick to in prescribing medication etc and often use the cheapest alternatives.

I dont have much hope right now and just have to keep going.

• Posted

Well I know you are on an antidepressent but it sounds like you need a different one!

Can you ask for a different one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.