Why would someone lie about having mental health issues?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Some of you might know me from my previous posts, regarding my own mental health battles.

An update : I'm getting there, I'm regularly seeing someone at a mental health centre so I'm keeping positive!

Now... I started a new job, which is great. One of the girls (let's call her Megan) I know from previous years and I was surprised when I saw she worked I the same office.

She was known for being a manipulative liar (basically twisting things to suit her and lying to others to turn people against each other).

I'm very open about my mental health, as I hope it will at least help a few people to forget the stigma.

Megan then told me she has bipolar, anxiety, and borderline personality disorder.

A few things have stuck out to me that don't make sense...

1) she is only on one medication, Lamotrigine, and says she might be put into Lithium too.

2) we live in the same town and she has commented on going to the same centre as me, however she says she can only go upon referral (she was already referred), and in my experience once I'd been referred I didn't have to see my GP again as they would keep in touch regularly

3) she has told me and another girl that she is slightly going off the rails again, but refuses our help. I've even suggested that we go together to the centre but she quickly back tracked saying they wouldn't remember her - surely they'd keep patient records for a certain length of time?

4) she says she refuses to see her GP about other meds that might help her, but she must see her GP enough to pick up her prescription and review her Lamotrigine?

I need help understanding because I'm taking it badly that someone could lie about this. Why would they? It's all awful to live with!

Any words of experience and advice? (I've tried asking her questions which she wouldn't know but she ignores me and will respond once she has researched, sounding like a wiki page!!!)

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like one of those people who want to be the center of attention, no matter what. She thinks people will feel bad for her and so she'll be treated more gently.

It's basically called lieing. Lamictal is for BP disorder, and that's all she's taking. The anxiety/borderline personality disorder might be something she read online trying to self diagnos and may honestly believe she has it. If she makes such claims but doesn't want to do anything about it other than talk. I'd just keep my distance and not get too involved with her drama. Don't be cruel, just keep to yourself. We can't change the world, only ourselves. You said she was a manipulator, well, this must be accomplishing something she wants or needs. Pity? Attention? People hovering around asking how she is? She sounds like a little player and wants everyone else to be in her little game. If she was your dear friend, I might offer different advice. 

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. 

I find it very sad that someone would be this way sad

• Posted

I agree with luvinlex.  I think part of the problem is that you are "merging' with this person, letting her situation affect you. You need to take care of yourself first and foremost and not take on another's experience, good or bad as more important than your own.  So, in other words, it is her problem that she is the way she is, not yours, and you need to let it go and stay focused on your needs.

I am a "merger" as well, putting others' needs before my own and causing myself a lot of inner strife because of it. It has to do with not feeling worthy, not feeling that my needs matter, that everyone's elses should come first.  But I am learning to recognize this. My needs matter.  Your needs matter.  

She is not doing this "to you," she 's just doing it, and who ever is in her path has a choice to let it affect them or not.  It is not your job to fix her or make her get right.   You can offer support, but it is not your job to make everything click right for her.  She can take it or leave it, and if she leaves it, don't take it as a reflection on you but go on your way.

Congratuations on seeking the help for yourself and doing the work :-)  You will find that there are lots of little things like this that cause you to learn more about yourself, but it is all good :-)

• Posted

Well clearly she has something wrong. Stay away from her or just be cordial you dont need anyone like that close to you. Toxic people.
  • Posted

I'm concerned that you would give any human being that kind of thought and energy. If you were evaluating her as a case study for a pschiatry class it would make sense. But you will go crazy trying to figure people out. Liars comes in all forms and they are a dime a dozen.I treat them all the same, whether they are from poverty areas or the suburbs, make $20k or $200k. You are unique in your honesty and its appreciated. But I am sure you have bigger fish to fry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.