Will I collapse my lung again if I workout until failure?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't leave my house much yet. I am not active and gained weight. I had VATS 3 months and 2 weeks ago. How do I build muscle (lift weights and lose weight (light cardio) without getting another collapsed lung? 

1. How many times per week?

2. How intense?

3. What exercises?

4. Will my lung collapse if I do pushups and bench press?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,I wondered this after having 2 pneumothorax,tried to join a gym,was told to go and see my doctor first and basically get a form saying I am fit enough to join! I did but was told not to lift any weights or anything heavy as this can cause a pneumothorax! Through out the whole gym I am only allowed on the toning tables and the treadmills. Mine happened last August and first one 14 years ago.
    • Posted

Hi Elisa,

Thanks for sharing your experience. How long did you go on the treadmill for? What symptoms did you have immedietly after treadmill and the next morning? 

I get this wierd dripping feeling inside my lung where I had VATS after going for a walk or standing for a long period. Do you get this to? 

Also, if I forget to breathe deeply, pain starts. When I remember to breathe deeply again, the pain goes away. My question to you is: How many months did it take for your body to adjust so that you don't always have to take deep breaths?

Cheers and Thank you

Brody James

• Posted

Both,

I have had VATS on my left lung 2 years ago (+bullectomy and pleuredesis) and just pleuredesis on my right lung a month ago, 

Mine happened without doing anything particular, like any big efforts or anything - so in that regard it might differ from yours. 

In my experience, the doctor actually recommended physical exercise (light, of course) following the VATS intervention two years ago. 

There's no magical timeline as it depends of each individual's body and speed of recovery. 

Absolutely DO NOT push yourself too much, take it slow - do cardio, use the machines but don't do heavy lifting too early on. 

The key is to do everything gradually. As soon as you feel you're pushing yourself too hard and have shortness of breath that means you need to slow down. Being sensible about this is key - but 3 months and 2 weeks should be more than enough time for your body to recover broody - I think it's about high time to get back at it. 

If you've got any specific questions shoot. 

• Posted

Thanks for responding Bogdan.Sometimes I feel so helpless. I have isolated myself from the rest of the world and I feel terrible. I want to start exercising but I develop pain 1 day after from standing for 30-40 min. However, he pain goes away after 1-2 days after sleep and it has improved since VATS.

What pain did you have after doing cardio for the first time? What will happen to me if I do pushups? Can my lung collapse this way?

I don't drive yet. I feel pain in the passenger seat on bumpy roads. Should I be driving or am I being too sensitive?

Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi Brody,

I went on the treadmill only for 5 mins at a slow pace to start off,I now have a personal trainer twice a week that knows exactly how much I can do,I do get out of breath quick still and panic.

I don't get the drippy feeling you mentioned.

I agree with Bogdan,take it easy,do everything gradually!

Start of with the simplest excersize,see what your limits are and stick to them,any excersize is better than none!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.