will i know if i damage my repair?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 6 days post rotator cuff repair (typing with left hand, so forgive mistakes). I have a high pain tolerence so been off pain meds since day 3. I take ibuprofen 2x a day for some achyness. Anyway, it may seem that a high pain tolerence is a good thing but i worry i will tear it out again and not be aware. is this possible or would i definately feel it? I'm trying to really be aware of it and keeping it as imobile as possible but worry that i'll move it too much and tear it out without knowing. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How fortunate for you, I always thought I had a high pain tolerance too, but apparently not! Lol. Honestly, I'm not sure what kind of symptoms you would have if you tore it out. I always worried about that too. What kind of pain did you have before the surgery? Were there anchors put in? I'm thinking that there was. I think as long as you follow docs orders and your therapist, you should be okay. The trauma would possibly come if your arm was outstretched and you fell or got it "caught" on something and stretched it hard.( I bumped mine a few days after surgery on the edge of a door, but was told that even though it hurt, it shouldn't have torn because nothing was pulled.) These rotator cuff tendons need a few months to heal so just be aware. Take care.

• Posted

The only pain i had prior to surgery was the aching at night. I asked my ortho to take a look after my bilteral tkr and he said it was a significant tear. i did the repair since i already paid my deductible for the year from the knee surgery. :-)  

Thanks! I will definitely baby it for a while! 

• Posted

I think you would definitely feel it.   I too have a high tolerance to pain, I had my rotator cuff repaired back in May but also had a total reverse shoulder replacement so I had to be in an immobilizer.  By any chance are you in an immobilizer because if you are there is not much chance in you reinjuring it as long as you are careful and do what your dr instructs you to do.   
    • Posted

Yes, I am in an immobliizer. 

I take it off for showers and try to let my arm just hang while showering and getting dressed. Doc said no PT for 6 weeks since it was a bad tear. They tried to fix it arthroscopically but had to make an incision, it was a difficult fix. Hope I am babying it enough!

Although I do appreciate not feeling much pain, I don't want to start all over again either...

• Posted

I would think since you are not on any pain meds you would know if you reinjured yourself.  It sounds like you are doing well.   I also had to wait 6 weeks to start my pt.  I had my 2nd total reverse shoulder replacement on Oct. 3 and was in the immobilizer again for 6 weeks but could also remove it for exercise and showering the only difference is that this time I did not need rotator cuff surgery.   As long as you do exactly what you are told by the doctor you should not have any problem.  If you were to fall or possible get hit with something i think you would know if there was a problem. I can understand your worries because I think we all have them after our surgeries but it sounds like you are doing things the right way.  You should be fine
  • Posted

I am 5 1/2 weeks post surgery and still in my sling. I worry about a re tear also especially since I am riding a stationary bike daily at the gym and walking on my treadmill at home. I took it off the other day to perform my shoulder hang and rotate and tripped on one of my dogs toys on my way to the couner. I reached out with the damaged arm to catch myself but caught myself before i extended it too far. It hurt a little bit for about a minute but nothing after that. I spoke to my therapist and she said that I would know it if I tore it again and that it is very painful. 

Now It usually aches when I have been asleep all night and first wake up for a few hours..

I hope that all goes well with your recovery ..

• Posted

I had rotator repair in 2006 to fix all 4 elements, torn labrum, torn bicep. Month 4 in physical therapy, I had a big setback. Doc said to give it time. My insurance stopped at 20 PT visits so I continued at home after that but had irritation, swelling, and pain that limited my progress. I did not renew my insurance the next year due to financial struggles. 3 years later I had made no progress, but I did get insurance so the doc sent me for an MRI which showed 2 massive tears. I was unable to afford to be off work, so I postponed any surgery until this year. In Feb of this year, I had a new repair (arthroscopic with anchors). By month 2, following all doctor restrictions, I had re torn the repair. There was no single instance of significant pain. The doc said I couldn't have re torn it without very noticeable pain. I got the MRI at the 90 day mark which verified that both repairs had failed. I was using the arm but was honoring the restrictions given by the doc.

At the end of June I got a re-repair. It is 23 days ago. I have had ZERO pain since day 3. I am using my sling w/foam block at all times except a couple hours a day to let it air out while in my recliner. I am constantly worried about reinjury -especially because I have no pain feedback from the repair site.

I will update when I have more to tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.