Will it just keep going up and up?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for around a year now. At first they said it was subclinical hypothyroidism and docs put me on a low dose of levothyroxine. Blood test 3 months later and levothyroxine dose got double. Fine for 6 months now dosage has been upped again and due another blood test in 3 months. My question is will my dosage keep increasing or will my thyroid eventually level out and my symptoms calm down?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunatley in the NHS they only test the TSH which is an unreliable test. Some patients too cannot convert the T4 into the working hormone which is T3, but again the NHS will not prescribe T3 or what used to be a natural hormone made from pigs thyroids known as NDT and was successful in treating Hypothyroidism until a cheap synthetic hormone was manufactured and not always successful in treating the condition. Many thyroid patients now have to purchase their own tests and medications, but T3 and NDT cannot be purchased in the UK. I hope you are one who's condition does settle down, but it can always flare up again, and a word of warning do not be resort to antipsychotic drugs as some can even worsen the condition underneath.
  • Posted

As Kathleen says the NHS use only the TSH test which does not give the complete picture of how your thyroid is working..I was ill for years & told my levels were ok until finally I educated myself & now self medicate with Natural Dessicated thyroid.The difference is dramatic from being barely able to function & in constant pain I now have my life back.It's not a quick fix it takes time & you have to sort out vitamin levels & other things but it is well worth it.To keep upping your thyroxine without testing T4 & T3 levels at least is negligent to say the least.Have you been offered an Endocrinoly appointment at all ?if not ask for a referal ASAP.Some of them will test all the things you need testing others will not but worth a try as they should know more than your GP.If that fails then Read & look online for all you can learn about the condition & join a Thyroid group, there are several on Facebook & you will get answers to a lot of your questions from people who have the same condition.Good luck & remember there is help but you have to also help yourself as GP's get little training on the complexities of Thyroid disease.

• Posted

Another thing I would look out for and that is  Phthalates which are used in making types of plastic and they are endocrine disruptors. This is one thing too that the EU are going to ban, but look them up and research them.
  • Posted

In answer to your question about the increase of your levothyroxine dose.  Every time the dose is increased your existing thyroid will back off and after a time you will need the dose increased.  This will continue until you reach a dose that is suitable to you.  When you reach that ultimate dose and you feel well you will be taking it for the rest of your life.  Your thyroid gland will have gone to sleep forever and you will be existing on the medication alone and will need to take it for the rest of your life which is what I have been doing for almost thirty years and I am fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.