Will operation get rid of constant dizzyness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

I am due to have operation 7th March. But closer it gets I am having 2nd thoughts.

I suffer from ataxia and constant dizzyness. I am housebound and have no life because of it. I constantly have to hold walls etc. And at times when I have no coordination I have to drop to floor and crawl on hands and knees.

Sure I have pain. But I am now inmmune to it and can control it with pain killers.

When I read other peoples comments I am in no way near the amount of pain that they are in.

I am having surgery to stop dizzyness. But from what I have read dizzyness is symptom continues after op.

I would like to here from anyone who suffered similar to see how they were after op.

Just dont want to go thru op. Come out other end in more pain than I have the now. And still have constant dizzyness. And as I also have MS they think it is likely I will take relapse.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Violet,

I'm so sorry you are having such symptoms. My balance was better after the operation. I'm still walking. As they say everyone is different. Of course some medications can add an additional effect to what u are experiencing. I wish you luck on your surgery and let us hear from you.

• Posted

Hi violet47232

It feels to me that you need to discuss the plans for surgery further with you neuro surgeon. The surgery can take weeks if not mon thd to recover and if you feel you have your headaches under control I would be tempted to ask if there is anything they can do for the dizziness. Is this the only other symptom you have? The dizziness does sound extremely bad I didn't really suffer like you mine was a lot milder I was more about the headaches and pressure building up at the back of my head. I guess you have had a mri which has identified a chiari? My advice would be to go to your ns ring his secretary and ask to speak to him.

Also are you part of anu chiari support groups I'm part of chiari support. If you look for it on facebook it is a closed group ask to join. We are a very friendly bunch if ehen requesting send s message about your diagnosis and you will be welcomed with open arms. Here there are many people at different stages in their journey with chiari some just like yourself who are unsure whether to go ahead with surgery others like myself I'm 16 weeks post op and it's come with its complications. So come look for chiari support its run by Karen Kerr and it is a British site but we have people from the USA and Italy I rally do think you would benefit from their support

Good luck jaquie clark chiari warrior! X

• Posted

Hi Jacki thanks for your reply. I have other symptoms like constant nystagamus. Tinitus. Pins needles. Headaches. Dead arm. But i can deal with these symptoms. I can not handle the constant dizzyness and ataxia. This is disabling for me and making me housebound. Have tried everything for it. Have had it or over 30 years. Was always getting told migrains, panick attacks or all in ma head. But since October it has not let up and getting nausea and vomiting and lost 3 stone in 5 months as a result.

I also have MS and symptoms are identical. Was only because symptoms were getting worse Neurologist looked over all my MRI's again. It was present in all my MRI's (12 in total) and no one picked up on it.

I was then referred to NS. That was 2 years ago. But because they did not know what was causing symptoms. NS had to be sure so had ICP monitor. Result of that pressure is 32. Also taking acetazolomide for ataxia. This has this under control a bit. Ns said pill would not have worked if MS as this pill reduces pressure on brain. So she had enough evidence.

I have to use wheel chair when out doors because of dizzyness. She is 85% sure will be back walking with my sticks. And she wouldn't operate if not a chance.

It is only because i have read others stories. Their main reason for the op is the headaches. I have yet to spk to someone who has just had op for dizzyness and ataxia. Worse thing I have done is to read others stories.

Thanks for taking time to reply

Ps I have joined a couple groups on facebook

• Posted

Hi did you join Karen kerr group? If you have introduce yourself give us a wave lol

Jaquie clark xxx

• Posted

Ann Conroy and some other group but doesnt look like anybidy posts there. Ill have a look for the Karen Kerr group. X
  • Posted

All of my symptoms disappeared 4 months post op. I know your going thru total hell right now...but things do get better. I saw a massage therapist once a week after I had my stitches removed. The therapist focused on my back muscles and it relieved pressure. Just take your time recovering...don't push it...you will be able to lay on your back one day and you will be able to get back to life...you just need to stick up for yourself and take it one day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.