Withdrawal from amitryptaline

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Amitryptaline for approximately 4 years at a dose of 35mg at night, for pain due to arthritis in my knee.  For some reason I decided to stop taking it a week or so back, as I hate taking tablets. All was ok for a couple of days and then I had the most awful headaches for a couple of days.  The headaches are tapering off now, but I feel dreadful. Nausea and general feeling crappy.  I can sleep at night but I keep sweating and getting terrible hot flushes during the day and night.  As I am 50, I thought at first it might be menopause, but after reading the symptoms, I am wondering if it is withdrawal.  I will persevere as I do not want to take tablets.  Is anyone else feeling terrible and if so, how long is this going to last for.  I also gained a lot of weight, and suddenly had a spare tyre, which I have never battled with in my life.  Despite doing Weight Watchers and exercising as much as I can, I was not shifting the weight.  As soon as I stopped taking Amitryptaline, I noticed my weight very slowly dropping!! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I came off amtrypline January and ever since I've had a burning head on left hand side every day since I came off them. I'm persevering as I don't want to go back taking the amtrypline again. All the best

• Posted

hi uktigger6 i have been amitryplaine for over 20 years i ran out a few weeks ago didnt hand my script on time at the doctors so i had to wait about 5 days well it was awfull could not sleep bad head ache it was if i had a handover i was very tearfull bad temperd could not sleep may be a few hours a night i had night sweats very bad hot flushs i am 52 and put them down for having the menapause i could not eat properly felt like crap for days until i got my medication i am on 200mg at night ive put on weight as i have got older not with my medication i dread to think what i will be like if had to give them up 5 days with out them it was really bad do hope this helps 
  • Posted

Ii was on 30mg for about 7 months but came off it 20mg for a month then 10 mg for a month and finally tapered it down for the last month - no withdrawel symptoms  . I hope this helps 
  • Posted

Hi, i have had 2 failed withdrawal from amitriptyline i had got to 5mg each time then had to go back on 10mg as the awful symptoms of the withdrawal. i am currently on by 3rd attempt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.