Withdrawal from citralopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor last week told me that I could come off citralopram 10mg and propranolol 40mg "immediately" as the dose was not high and there would be no side effects. I pointed out that if I miss even one dose, my body can tell and I have after all been taking these 2 tablets for 6 years. I thought this was a bit drastic so insisted that I gradually reduce the dose.  For a week now I have been taking half a tablet each day.  I am persisting.  Any advice as to how long I should continue before perhaps I alternate the dose to every other day?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian. I've been told that you shud reduce no more than 5 mg's every 2 weeks to a month. I have been reducing that way for a month now from 40 to 30 and I Do feel it. Do urself a favor and take ur time. I wudnt just stop though. Keep checking in here as there are great people who know a lot about these meds. Keep ur chin up and ur best foot forward.

• Posted

Thanks John for that info. It has not been as bad as I envisaged, but I am not sure how long the "honeymoon period" will last ;-) I suppose 10mg is not a big deal compared to 40mg. When I withdrew from Seroxat ( oh that drug!!) I used the liquid form in the later stages.

Thanks for your help. Best wishes to you, too. Ian

• Posted

U will be fine ole boy. Just takes time and a little patience.
  • Posted

A 5mg cut is minimil

You need to be comfortable in your own skin so  just take time and be advised by your GP.

Give thee drug two weeks then take a further 2.5 cut and see how it goes, give it three weeks on the final cut,  then  stop the medication give the withdrawal another  two week and if not feeling good  make an appointment with your GP

Withdrawal of AD can be very selctive although as your GP says you are on a small dose.

Remember you are in partnership with your GP for your health needs, always confer with the surgery, if you need to

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob, but I have no confidence in the GP I discussed withdrawal with. He advised me to stop immediately! I decided myself to halve the dose and I have emailed the practice to inform them of my withdrawal regime. Had I taken his advice, I would have stopped completely last Wednesday.
  • Posted

Well I've just spent a year coming off 20mg - that time was my own choice, and I did it by 5mg at a time going from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 and I had no withdrawl at all, unlike the first time when I did it by halving each time.

Dare I say it - you're doctor is an oaf.

Never, ever stop these meds abruptly as you'll be very ill.  As you said, you notice it when you miss one dose.  Also coming off gradually stops your anxiety / depression from returning, as doing it abruptly shocks the body.

From 10mg, take 5mg for about a month or maybe 2, and then buy a pill cutter and either cut the 5mg or as I did, crush it.  I then divided the powder up and took half (felt like a drugs baron) biggrin, stay on that dose for another month or 2 and then further divide the powder up.  When you're down to about 1.25 then stop.

There's no hurry to come off the meds, so do it as slow as possible.

So many doctors need retraining in these meds.  They should be made to take them to experience what it feels like - only then can they dictate what's what.

K x

• Posted

Very well put Miss Kate. I'm sure this will be a great help to Ian. I certainly agree with you and have been following ur plan. Its working too. Hope he takes ur advice. I dont look at reducing by 5mg's at a time as minimal. Coming off these meds can be very tricky!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Kate. How did you feel when you were ON citalopram? After 6 years of being on 10mg of the drug in combination with 40mg of propranolol, I found I was waking with a headache ( always a dull pain in the right temple, presumably due to teeth grinding, which I find I do even when awake! ) vivid dreams, very dry throat, pains in my toes and fingers ( my mother and sister have bad circulation and always feel cold, like me, so that could be hereditary ) and the obligatory fuzzy head with occasional zaps. I find also I cannot drink much alcohol as my head pounds after even one drink. The 40mg propranolol I am convinced keeps my high blood pressure in check, so I am keeping an eye on that. Again, the GP didnt mention my previous blood pressure until I prompted him. He said to come back 4 weeks after I manage to come off the tablets. Er no mate, I am constantly monitoring my blood pressure during this withdrawal!

• Posted

Hi Ian

I spent many years on Citalopram 20mg reducing to 10mg as a maintenance dose.  I was fine on the meds but yes, do recall vivid dreams, overheated often, a little weight .... but they helped me recover and stay calm.  My first withdrawal on them I did carefully but I still got brain zaps, headache, anger, crying, nausea but managed to come off them for 2 years.  I restarted because the stress of family illness began to affect me, stayed on them for 1 good year and have spent this last year withdrawing in the small amount and had no withdrawal effects at all.

I've always been to have alcohol - didn't seem to affect me whilst taking the meds.  I have read though some people do find it affects them more and gives them a bad head.  I suppose it affects us all differently.

I'm always cold generally - even now I'm sat with a blanket on me plus the cat who's like a hot water bottle :-)

Now I'm off the meds I do feel my head is clearer, not that I noticed it was dull when I was on them.  

The GP didn't mention your blood pressure mmmm......  4 weeks?  Hahahahaha hahaha hahaha .......... Jeeeez .....

• Posted

Glad its working for you too John.  Yes I suppose 5mg isn't minimal for some people as it affects us all differently.  It is hard coming off them, but with teeny reductions its so much easier.  Hope it continues to go ok.

• Posted

Its so far so good miss K. Went to see my new Dr and she's behind my plan one hundred percent. If it keeps going like this I'll be happy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Posted

Great to have a good doctor.  I found withdrawing from the meds like this was a piece of cake - so smooth.  :-)
    • Posted

Well so far its been great for me also Miss K. This new Dr is supportive and not a "pill pusher" for lack of better words. Must say this is probably the best I have felt in 18 months so I hope this is the way it will be until i'm completed off these pills. I did tell her that if I felt the need that I would not hesitate to go back on them. Almost like i'm getting ahead of myself but its just positive thinking. Lol. Enjoy youre day!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.