Withdrawal from Dosulepin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking this antidepressant for many years, currently I'm taking 75mg daily and now I dont really think it's helping so want to come off it. I know tapering is the best way forward to minimise withdrawal symptoms but I'm wondering how slowly others tapered and what were your experiences. Thank you in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,i am currently on dosulepin and have been for one year. I can't advise about withdrawal as i am still taking it but i have come off other anti depressants before and i find they have all been difficult with the exception of prozac. I would say if you have taken it for more than 2 or 3 years you may want to try a withdrwal of 6 to 9 months. Maybe 3 months at 50, 3 months at 25 and then ask for a liquid form and go from there. Have you been on any other anti depressants before?
    • Posted

Hi there and thanks for the response, No, I haven't been on other antidepressants but I was on a benzo and tapered off that over 2 years ago. Your response makes good sense, I intend to ask my doctor for the 25mg strenth at my next visit. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi Anne,

Please be very careful titrating off Prothieden.  Docs tell you to do it in a matter of weeks.  It will be more like years.  The slower the better.  I tried twice to titrate too quickly and my body virtually shutdown.  I was on 75mgs and have titrated over two to three years to 40mg.  I am concerned by the heart side affects and it was not longer effective for sleeping, which is what it was given to me for.  I havent replaced it with anything except meditation and the occasional sleeping tablet.  Everyones story is different, but if you are serious, please just take it very slowly, thanks.  Robyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.