Withdrawal is so bad!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking Gabapentin for about two years and now I'm trying to get off on my own(no insurance for a new doctor yet). I've gone from 900mg to 600mg a day and I'm going through horrendous withdrawal symptoms like shaking and even people talking is bothering me. Excessive noise or even a little drives me insane and I burst into tears at the drop of a hat. I'm taking magnesium, but I think it's a waste. I can't get any deep sleep. Does anyone have any tips until I can see my doctor in January?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tiffany.  I was on 1200mg /day for about a year.  I found the drop from 1200 to 900 bad and couldnt cope with 900 to 600 so got a script for 100mg capsules so I could drop 100mg a week.  Initially I was tipping out the capsule and removing a 1/3 of the powder but that was hard work.  I found dropping 100mg a week manageable.  The first few nights would be bad especially for sleep, but I think slow decreases are much better for the anxiety, 'feeling fragile' and other withdrawal effects.  I was taking "deep sleep" magnesium at night that also contained 5-HTP (described as 'nervous system support) and tart cherry to help with sleep.  I also had a Sleep Ezy capsule with valerian, chamomile and passionflower.  I can tell you it does get better.  It took me about 3 months to get off completely but I have been off for two months now and feel so much better and am sleeping well again.  Good luck.

• Posted

I only took for a month and tapered with dr

Was on 1200-1800 a day for 30 days

She tapered with 300 mg 2x a day for 3 days and then 300 once a day for 3 days

And it was hell for week one

Symptoms like your describing for a long time after

The last pill was July 18 and I'm just now beginning to have an occasional normal day now and it's December

Still trouble sleeping and depression sneak in but so much better than June July and August

I'd say see your doctor ASAP

Benadryl helped me sleep at night occasionally

But definitely keep dr informed although not many Drs are aware of the extent of long range effects

I ended up finding a counselor who had withdrawal experience with Gabapentin and she was my salvation

• Posted

I can certainly relate to that Tiffany.

I have only been on Gabapentin for 5 months and for the last 2 I have been very very slowly weaning down. I got to 1200mgs and with no nerve pain relief and constant tiredness and nausea, I decided to wean with the advice of my GP. It has taken me 2 months to go from 1200 to 800mgs ( which I am on currently). I have remained on 800 for over 1 month now as I am very wary of dropping any further. My pain has doubled and has taken over most of my head now ( Occipital and trigiminal neuralgia). I feel a little more anxious and am finding going to sleep very difficult - I am trying not to take any benzos or opiates ( as I believe they are the only things that help this pain).

My question is, how long has it taken you to go from 900 to 600.? You really need to do it very slowly. 

• Posted

Tiffany please go back to your regular dosage PLEASE.....You came off too too fast......Please go back to 900 once a day???? and stay on it till you see the dr. PLEASE  I know everyone hates this med.....and wants to get off......I was on 100mg a day...then I went to every other day OMG by day 6  the headaches and the dizziness......called dr...had to go back on it for a few months more...hated to do it but I did......anyway finaaly reduced it to 50 mg for 2 or three weeks I forget......been off it since October 13 2016...doing good.....Please this med is very very dangerous ...it changes the chemicals in your brain....I would only reduce it 100 mg every 2 months...you been on it a long time...your brain doesnt know how to react......PLEASE stay on it!!!!!   
  • Posted

PLease the slower the better.......and maybe when you get to 500mg you may need to go back up because of withdrawals....you will come off of it...TAKES TIME>   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.