Withdrawal side effects. How long before the anxiety goes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I came off Venlafaxine almost three months ago but the nervous/anxiety feelings are still happening. One of the many side effects when coming off this awful medication. I know it can take weeks or months to feel "better" but I would have thought I'd be in the clear by now?

Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, I'm not sure if I can help as after a week without them and after I'd tapered down to 37.5mg over 3 months I had to go back on them. I had terrible anxiety and was so emotional I couldn't cope with the zaps and dizziness. It's been hard. I hope someone here can answer your question.

• Posted

If you came off it too soon or too fast this may perseist indefinitely and get worse. Please provide details. Dosage you were on, duration, how you tapered off and whether there was a medical reason for a fast taper if there was one. How long were the initial symptoms for which you were prescribed the drug in remission for before attempting withdrawal. All the best.
  • Posted

Hello Mike,

I would say it may depend on how long you took Venlafaxine.  

I took it for about 16 years, tapered off over about a year, and have been totally off for 17 months.  I still have the panic/anxiety feelings most days.  However, they have gradually dissipated in frequency and intensity.  When I first was off the drug, even though I'd done a pretty long, bead-counting taper, I had them numerous times a day, particularly in the morning and evening. I had never had any type of similar anxiety symptoms before I took Venlafxine or during the period that I was taking it.  So I knew those feeling were directly attributible to the withdrawl.  Just knowing that seemed to help and allowed me to be more dismissive of the "panic" and continue on with my day.  Gradually they would disperse.  Now, after 17 months, I still get them most mornings. I wake up, sometimes earlier than usual, with a rapid heartbeat and a "flight or fight"  feeling of panic. It is a drag to wake up this way. But I just get up and get ready for work,  knowing it will fade in intensity as I get involved in other things.  The exception to this is when something especially stressful (death in family, drama with my 19 year old daughter) occurs, then I will also start to feel this response, whereas before/during ven that would not have happened.  Sugary foods also seem to intensify the issue, and Omega 3s seem to help a little.  Rather a long answer to a short question, but hope this helps. 

• Posted

Today is the 7th day I have been off of venlafaxine and I am feeling terrible anxiety as well. I was on this med for 11 years for depression and my dosage varied from 75mg to 150mg depending on how I was doing. I tapered off of my 75mg dose over one month under my doctors instruction and I feel TERRIBLE now. I have never felt anxiety before but I have a constant feeling of dread and worry. I am scared and feel uncomfortable in my own home. Does anyone have any insight to share with me? How many days will I feel like this? I can't imagine it lasting months, that thought is even more terrifying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.