Withdrawal symptoms from Medical Coma

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've only had two convulsions in my life, yet it resulted in week long medical coma; thereafter unbearable withdrawal symptom from propofol drip. I was not informed of the use of anesthesia in the hospital setting. Has anyone else had a similar experience of non-informed nonconsent to anesthesia?

Despite several resulting involuntary psychiatric detainments and spending six month in a program, I've never met anyone with epilepsy or any type of seizure disorder. It seems bizarre how psychiatric facilities routinely restrain/tranquilize individuals for refusing medication, when these individuals were not being rude at all.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Morning sufjam;   I'm not too sure what lead to your ?convulsions (as it could be a result of many things....ingested or brain malfunction)....but if you presented to an ED and you were in a Permanent Seizure (known in some terms as "Status Epilepticus", then it would have been necessary to Intubate you, and then connect you to an "assisted ventilation"...this is because if the treating Medical Staff had not done so, you would have ended up with Permanent Brain Damage, due to Lack of oxygen to your brain......this is an Emergency, and you could not have signed the Consent form, as you would have been in a Coma State on arrival??, and when treating Any patient who arrives into an ED with any form of brain comatose state (whether of your kind or any head injury), the patient is straight away intubated with assisted ventilalion.

​As to your second question, from my Little knowledge of treating Psychiatric patients, if they refuse their Necessary medications (and these are only ever prescribed in order to keep the patient safe from self-harm or harm to others), then it does require other forms of treatment to ensure the safety of all.  It is often the case, that where Psychiatric patients feel that they are fine, (and this being due to the fact that the medications that they have been taking, have started to work on the chemicals in their brain), think that they don't need their medictions any more.   However, if they stop taking them Abruptly, then they have a Much bigger relapse, and the consequences are often fatal (either through self-harm/harm to others, as stated above).; or putting the patient's treatment backwards, needing to "start from scratch again" and causing a longer stay in the Care Facility.   Psychiatry is a very hard condition to treat.....but it must ALWAYS be remembered "that these conditions are needing continual treatment', and really are a medical condition, as are all other medical conditions............if you had cancer, and you had been started on a course of treatment, but decided to Stop this treatment overnight, imagine how Aggressive the Cancer Cells would become in your body?............the same as with any medication that you had been taking for a period of time...if you stopped it Overnight, you would also have very bad with-drawal symptoms.....so the same goes for any medical treatment, if needing/requiring/asking for cessation of treatment, it should always be done slowly, under medical supervision...............Does this help your questions?.............Bron

• Posted

not really , I was just wondering why the dr that discharge me didnt inform me of the anethesia, if that is unusual.

like i had ventilator assisted respirtory failure. seeming because i had been overly oxygenated. its not uncommon my aunt has been critical condition as muscular distrophy latelyl, she has regular heart attacks while recieving 110% oxygen rather than average 95%.

the two ive convulsions ive had were result of cervical disc herniation

perhaps spread as sore thoracic vertebral haemangioma over two documented months ago. perhaps i have cancer but ive yet to see oncologist for radiotherapy because my dr thinks ill get low white blood cell (leukemia) but seems less concerning than spread of spinal cancer in my own opinion. it seems there are also nodules in my lungs and stomach aswell, assumed unrelated

• Posted

well to be precise the "nodular cavities" in my lungs seem to show up on AFB smear although confirmed not spinal TB, this is some concern of infection although pulmonologist notes no visible sign of infection in bronchoscopy. Ive have gastroscopy images of what seem to be ulcers, yet it hasnt been confirmed. And my neurologist is quiet sure the thoracic vertebral haemangioma is benign with contrast mri, yet its definaly rly sore
    • Posted

Hi sufjam;   it seems from your reply that you are asking for some very Precise answers, and this I cannot give you via this forum, as I do not have access to your Medical Records and reasons....either to your Aunt's either......your GP/primary carer is the one to answer these questions, as it is the normal procedure here in Australia, that after being hospitalized, the Hospital Treating Doctor/s send a report to your GP, notifying of ALL treatments/diagnoses and reasons for treatments etc.............he/she is the one to answer your, and your Aunt's, questions............I think you will find that there has been no cause for concern, and they certainly would have a Very good reason for treating you as was deemed necessary at the time of arrival at the hospital.....................Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.