Withdrawing from diazapam

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been taking diazapam for three months after ha ing a nervous breakdown in January due to 3 close family bereavements . Today my Dr has said I need to start withdrawing she has suggested as I take 2mgs three times daily that I start by taking 3/4 of my Eve tab for two weeks so it is done very slowly and then continue like this until I am off completely. Feeling very anxious about this wondering if anyone else has decreased by such a small amount over a long period of time and had good results. I'm hoping as my doses are so low to start with this is a bonus for me and also ha e only been taking diazapam for a short while will also make it easier for me . Any advice will be welcome thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor is correct..the slower the better !!!!

good luck 

• Posted

Hello Susan,

It is good that your Dr is looking out for you and suggesting you come off the Diazepam after three months,  also that the withdrawal is done very slowly.  This may seem like a  long drawn out process but it is very necessary to help make this as easy as possible and to keep the side effects down to a minimum.

It is impossible to say exactly what withdrawal symtoms you will have as we all vary.   My advice would be to keep each dosage reduction at least two weeks apart, up this to four weekly reductions if you are not comfortable after two weeks and feel ready in yourself to make the next decreacse.   Try to get plenty of exercise,  walking is easy to do and you can fit this into a daily routine, or if you you find routine goes out the window walking can still be slotted in somewhere during the day.  Eat plenty protien for your muscles,  it is in your muscles that the Diazepam gets stored so you need to keep them in good shape,  not big work outs, just keep them active,  walking also helps to relax you and keep your mind occupied with all the various activities you see going on and people you will meet while you are out,  little chats here and there about nothing in particular help to stop you dwelling on the withdrawal and why you were taking the Diazepam in the first place.   All forms of activity are good to keep you going.

I hope by now you are feeling better in yourself and the anxiety is not as bad as it was,  just take your time with each day,  keep plans small so dissapointments don't become a feature and you will get through this.  Summer is almost upon us,  it is a great time to be starting your withdrawal,  getting out and keeping busy will see the time go by faster- it is amazing how fast time can fly by and those two weeks will not seem like a slow withdrawal at all !!  

I wish you all the best with this,  stay strong and try not to be anxious,  you can do this and will feel better in your self once you are off them altogether.

Regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Your doc is right! The slower the better. You don't want to shock your brain and create long term tensions like brain zaps. It's very uncomfortabe. My own experience: I took 2mg once a day for a week, then I started tapering to 1,5 for a week, then 1mg for a week, and then I could handle another 0,5 less so I tapered to by 12,5% instead of 25% a week and It was still hell. Total of 2 months tapering...just for 2mg once a day for a week.. 

My advice, eat well, drink plenty of water, walk outiside, don't worry, keep 1,5-2 weeks between each dosage reduction, but you know if you feel fine after 1 week, you can start tapering again. 

• Posted

Your GP is correct, the slower you taper the

Less withdrawal symptoms you will have.

You may find every time you drop you feel

a tiny bit anxious and some other little

symptoms but that will stop when you

stabilize on your now dose. Hope this

helps and good luck....not that you will

need it 😊

Kate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.