Woke up with chest pain?!

Posted , 10 users are following.

This morning when I woke up and sat up on my bed, I got an intensive sharp pain down the left side of my chest. I don't think I've felt pain similar to it before, and I kind of had to just sit for a while and let it pass.

The pain still wasn't shifting so I tried stretching my chest (bringing my shoulders apart) and then bringing them back together over and over again. Soon after this the pain went away.

I'm thinking - and hoping - that this pain is more of a musculoskeletal pain and I've just slept in a funny position, rather than anything to do with my heart or lungs. The only thing that's stopping me from fully believing this is that I've never woke up with chest pain like this before, one that was very sharp and made me scared to breath or move until it went away.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it even possible to damage your chest while sleeping?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello I have been having same issue for the last two months and went to several docs.  Do u have palpitations? One doctor told me its due to gas accumulation in the body.
    • Posted

Yeah I get palpatations a lot, to the point that my GP referred me to a cardiologist. They gave me a 24 hour tape monitor and the doctor said although she did see some palpatations they are benign and I shouldn't worry, but she did also say if they interfere with my day to day living I could start on a beta blocker.
    • Posted

have you had blood level checked? Sometimes the heart will beat abnormally due to lack of nutrients or blood. Also try to check your body's inflammation level, all are related. Do a full body check up and try relax as well. Maybe its nt a cardiac problem. Since I have changed lifestyles my palpitations are mostly gone. Long back I used to wake up from my sleep with heavy palpitations and sweat. 
    • Posted

and me rachna but I have cut right down on coffee and drink decaffinated tea along with chamomile tea before bed I still get them occassionally but not half as bad plus im on beta blockers 
    • Posted

Have you been better?  I think that we must all find time to care for ourselves and do relaxation cause at times we do harm to ourselves by stressing too much sad Wish you full recovery.
  • Posted

It sounds like acid reflux

Have you been diagnosed with anxiety?

• Posted

I've had acid reflux before but this seemed like a complete different kind of pain. I guess it could still be that that's the issue though.

And yeah I've been diagnosed with anxiety.

• Posted

I was sure there was something wrong with me with chest pains

I had ct scan endoscope blood tests ecg all came back clear

Best get it checked though.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Yes cramp sounds silly but yes you can sleep funny

But if it really worries you go see your doctor he/ she will send you to hospital where you will receive a ECG

Simple puts your mind at rest

And your in the best place if anything as happened

• Posted

If it happens again, even just once I'm definitely going to have it checked out. Thanks for the reply x
  • Posted

Please go get a checkup asap..not saying this to scare you,its prob nothing serious. My husband waited for 3 days after experianceing chest and arm discomfort. He had had a moderate heart attack. Just get it checked to be sure ok? Keep us posted. Xx
    • Posted

I will get it checked if it happens again, I've visited the hospital quite often recently due to other chest related issues but they've never found any sort of cause.

Sorry to hear that about your husband xx

• Posted

Hi Chenise I don't know if you have ever heard of a thing called pleurisy, it is a chest

pain that kind of feels like anxiety or a hearrt attack. It can come with a draw

of a breath and each position you cha nge to it can get sharper, it sometimes can be relieved

with milk or rest and at timnes it just has to pass. But it was just an idea and kind of sounded

like this may be what it was. I would see a doctor if it persists of course pain in the chest isn't to

be messed with Good luck to you take care.

• Posted

Thank you I'll ask my GP if this is likely pleurisy. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the pain.
  • Posted

I've woken early hours to feed my baby I have pain in my shoulder blades and my chest I then got up this morning and my chest just suddenly went really tight got real sharp chest pain I never had this pain before I'm so on edge now I feel asif I'm losing touch of myself .

I have been to hospital for chest pains about 5 times in last two years and each time told they can't find why I had a heart ultrasound in 2014 and it was fine then today it's so tight I'm not sure what to do I'm having nightmares every night and as I'm only 4 weeks postpartum I keep thinking clot or heart attack I can't enjoy daily life as it is anymore I can't get a appointment today either because you need to ring at 8 to get a appointment 😢 I feel so lost yesterday I got around 5 big random thuds ever since I can feel my heart palpitations constantly

• Posted

Hi Steph,I have had anxiety for years,used to get palpatations and they would scare the heck out of me,the more i thought about them the more Id get,I actually was thinking myself into getting them. If its the anxiety causing it,and I dont know,you somehow have to break the thought cycle. A person can literally think themselves into getting them. I was getting them constantly doing this. The thing that broke it was the doctor telling me i was ok. Then i let the thought go and it stopped. Again,I am only telling you what happened with me. I was scareing myself into haveing them. Let us know how you are ok ?Xx i would get checked when you can get an apt.
    • Posted

I'm like you, I've been to the hospital quite a lot due to chest pains/palpatations etc and each time the nurses tell me it's all in my head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.