Work is making me sick

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 16 and I was diagnosed with coeliac 4 years ago. Recently I've just started working at a fish and chip shop, I've been working there since the end of august and it's been making me really ill! Around 5-6 times I've come home and been throwing up all night or felt really unwell! Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and should I get a job else where ?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you are obviously in toouch with gluten at your job.    Personally if I am baking with ordinary flour I frequently start sneezing. you are obviously gettting glutenned somewhere along the line, try wearing disposable gloves first.
  • Posted

I suspect that your problem results from the batter used on the fish.  A major component of the batter is flour and you are no doubt exposed to this.  Irene's suggestion of using disposable gloves might help but the more diffiult problem may come from loose flour in the atmosphere.  An appropriate filter mask could help with this but may not completely effective.  Ultimately, the worst case could be that working in a fish and chip shop is not a suitable occupation for you.  In the 'old days' I had fish and chips very rarely but, having been diagnosed as  a coeliac, I now find myself yearning for the dish!

• Posted

Are you in the area where the batter is being mixed? The flour is airborne when being mixed, and once it's inhaled, it goes from the nasal passages and drains into the stomach (sorry if this sounds gross, but there's no other way of saying it).   It is also possible that you are getting contamination from handling the batter as well.  

I know it's probably easier said than done but I think you need to look for another job. It isn't worth making yourself ill for. 

• Posted

Oh Abby,

I think you know this already, you said it in the last line, so yes, you need to quit that job.  

Any job that is making you sick, document it and dear gawd, leave! CD is nothing to mess with, if you keep re-exposing yourself to gluten, it is as bad as eating it, but not nearly as fun. I can imagine how it would be sooo easy to get contaminated in any restaurant.

I have read in many places, that we with CD, cannot work in places that have flour, like bakeries. At your work, are they breading their own fish or is flour possibly floating in the air? If it floats and you breath it, it is going to your villi and they will be villy unhappy. 

I am in the US and don't know if your labeling laws are the same, you likely know thi, but there is wheat in some of our hand sanitizers and soaps.  If you are using it and then eating using your fingers, you could be getting it that way.  

I know you will figure this out.  Hope you feel better soon 😰

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.