Working with AS

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I've been on the sick for five weeks now I can't walk very good and in lots of pain with my back and neck I'm currently waiting to see a rheumatoid doctor in September as my gene test for AS has come back positive. What I really want to know is can you manage work with AS? At the moment I know it's not possible to work as I can't walk very good I work in a nursery with 0-1 year olds and would love to get back as soon as possible sick pay really isn't the best although I worry I won't be able to I know every bodies different with this but my Aunty hasn't been able to work since finding out x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm 25 and I have AS. I work full time. Depending on how bad the pain is depends on whether I need to take time off. My doctors look after me very well. The treatments haven't worked for me and changed drugs 3 times this year. I'm hoping my new one works for me. Once you get your medication sorted your AS should settle down. Your doctor may talk to you regarding change of career due to it being too strenuous, I work in an office so not too many walking etc

• Posted

Hi Kayley,

I work full time and have RA/AS for over a decade. Painkillers help as well as right treatment. Some days are bad but some are not. In your case your work is very physical so I think that you need to consult your dr regarding the pressure that it applies on your back and body in general. I hope that you will find a solution soon.

I have a question - what gene test are you talking about? I was diagnosed based on my CT and Xrays ~3 years ago, until then was treated for "general" RA - 3 tear-1 rheumy drs said that it's enough for diagnosis and that there is no other tests I can have... 

Thanks and I hope that you will feel better soon.

• Posted

The HLA B27 test with this already being in my family they tested me as soon as I started getting symptoms but they told me this test alone wouldn't mean I have it but a lot of people have this gene when they have as.

I had been applying for less physical jobs in offices but stopped when I started getting pain if I am diagnosed is this something I would have to share with my employer x

• Posted

I was diagnosed via the blood test and MRI scan

as you will have regular dr/hospital appointments i would recommend letting employers know however this cannot be something that they can fault you for. 

When i started at my new work i provided them with a letter from the hospital comfirming the diagnosis and advising that from time to time i would need to attend hospital/physio. They were great about it. 

You doctor really needs to start you on stronger painkillers, i currently take co-codamol and naproxen, i also have an injection once a month. The tablets are more for flare ups and when i am in a lot of pain 

• Posted

My son has AS and has been put on Humira after trying many other drugs which didnt really work for him. He works as a car mechanic and his life has been transformed with this drug. Good luck Kayley

• Posted

Hey! I worked with young children full time and now I have had to give that up because I physically cannot pick the babies up, I have just started the no starch diet and so far it feels although my back is getting stronger and I have slightly less pain. I can't work with children again yet but hopefully with this diet I will be able too in the future smile 
  • Posted

Dear UK girl - I hope you are feeling better on your medication.

With regard to work - please contact Access to work - you can find the number by searching on google.  They will come into your workplace and assess what adaptations and equipment you may need, and pay for it.  That equipment is then yours and moves with you if you change job!

Good luck - PM  me if you'd like more info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.