Working with osteoarthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I work in a residential care home and have to walk a resident that I find extremely difficult to walk due to my severe osteoarthritis in my hip, the resident needs 2 staff to walk him and is very unstable. I approached my employers due to finding it very difficult to walk him and the increased pain that im experiencing, i feel it is unsafe for me to walk him not only for me but the safety of the resident. My employer are saying I have to retrain but i dont feel this will help, they have also said if i am unwilling to retrain further action will be taken against me. What do I do. Please any advice would be appreciated

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi belinda, I'm afraid I don't have any advice but it sounds like your employer is treating you very badly. It's often the case with the "so called" caring professions. I hope that someone will come along soon with some constractive advice. I wish you well. Deb

• Posted

hi belinda, i also suffer with osteo, i am appalled with the lack of sympathy from your employers. i am sure someone on this site will offer you some advice, if it was me i would go to the citizens advice or go and inform my gp what is expected from my job. good luck and merry xmas      fred
  • Posted

I'm afraid I can't help either, but I agree with Fred - it's absolutely disgusting how your employers are treating you.  Care protection?  What sort of people run these services - they can only be in it for the money!  Part of me just hope they suffer badly themselves one day (but it is Christmas - not a good time to wish anyone the sort of pain we have to put up with).😏

Hope someone has some good advice for you.

🌲🍾🍸Merry Christmas.

Constance

• Posted

Belinda I forgot to ask where you live - if it is in England there is a society that has a carers forum.  Someone on there could perhaps give you some advice.  PM me if you need the address.
  • Posted

My surgery website, (UK), has a forum/page for carers. It's worth looking at if you need help. Also, are you in a union? They would be able to help and advise if your employers can threaten you like that! You could also try to do the re training and see how it affects you. They couldn't take further action then as you will have complied. Best wishes, x rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.