WORRIED !!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed Aug 2014. I have noticed that I get bloated and uncomfortable and sometimes a dull ache and very occasionally I feel sick. My whole stomach area aches and occasionally I get a sharp pain on my left side just under my ribs.

The right side was a stabbing, pinching pain like a large blade through my belly to my back

Left side more a stabbing pinching but in one place and daily loose bowels

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else as I am worried and GP not taking any notice

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like your body is having trouble digesting food. I would get your magnesium, b6, b12 and d3 levels checked and if nobody will then try a low dose supplement and see if you notice a difference.
  • Posted

might it be pancreatitis?  is your bloodwork okay?

• Posted

Sorry to hear this joy. Have you had this since straight after the operation? Are
    • Posted

Sorry keeps posting as I'm typing on my phone. Are your stools watery and yellow (biley) ? Have you tried any of the bile binders like questran? You could try caltrate 600d which is calcium carbonate with vitamin d. The calcium binds the bile so Should help with the loose stools which unfortunately is a common side effect from the operation. You start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food and if that doesn't help after 5-7 days you can take 1 full tablet 3 times a day with food. You could also try psyllium husk which also soaks up the bile. I'm taking both and find them great. Unfortunately a lot of people get pains especially were the gallbladder was after the operation. Read up on post Cholecystectomy syndrome. Probably the reason why your doctor doesn't seem concerned. These symptoms can go away with time. X
    • Posted

I have the pinching in my left side for a short while before the op but it cleared up after but they last couple of weeks it come back. My stomach hurt everywhere and I wasn't sure if I had PID or urine infection or kidney infection as I had a temp that would come and go. For a few days. Now it settled down to across the part of my stomach where my gallbladder was removed and how it felt when I had a infection when it was still there. But it's not there to be infected now...the pinching pain in my left side goes through the to the back but on the front it's in one stop just below my ribs. I went to the doctors who they will send me for a scan but there nothing they can do until I have that and just sent me away. So I guess I have to put up with it until I get a scan
    • Posted

Did you have gallstones? It could be a stone left after the operation. Your scan will check for that. Good luck xx
    • Posted

I just had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. Recovered without too many problems. In the last two days I've had the same symptoms as are described, pain under my ribs that radiates to my back. I believe it is my diet. When I first came home after the operation, I ate mostly soups and low fat yogurt. There have been a few celebratory parties yesterday and today where I indulged a little in sweets and higher fat content foods. I'm suffering for it now. I would suggest creating a food diary and see if you can pinpoint when your pain correlates with different foods. Try lowering your sweets and fat content (if you haven't already done so) for a.week or so and see if the pain goes away. 
    • Posted

Hope you continue to improve.

Yes I had my gallbladder removed at tne of April and still having to watch what I eat.

As you say if I indulge in something I should not have, I do suffer afterwards.

When will we ever learn?

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I did have stones it had been bad for many many years so think it got a bit messed up. I kept getting infections 
    • Posted

Thank you Sarah for your prays . I think it's got very messed up at the moment. I have watched what I have eaten the last few day and it does seems to have helped. So looks as if I need to be careful what I eat. once again thank you for taking the time to answer me. 
    • Posted

Thank you ....post cholecystectomy syndrome was an interesting read. I will get some Calcuim and give it a try ... I appreciate you taking the time to help me
    • Posted

Joy I've also been taking milk thistle and found it really helps With that indigestion and pains too. It's used by a lot of people post gallbladder removal. Unfortunately the cause of gallstones is usually high estrogen levels due to hormone drugs like the pill and hrt. The liver is responsible for filtering everything in our bodies. When there's too much estrogen the liver can't cope with it and the bile becomes thicker and more sludgy and causes gallbladder issues and can also cause ovarian cysts and fibroids and irregular periods. Removing the gallbladder removes the symptom but not the cause. Milk thistle detoxes the liver and helps it to work better which in turn has a knock on effect on our digestive system as they are closely linked. Only found all this out after my operation! I've also had a large cyst on my ovary and a fibroid. The cyst has recently partially ruptured and my vomiting and nausea vanished over night! Have had the stabbing pains your talking about though and they are not nice but seems to have eased since I started the milk thistle. I do know some people who had all these symptoms for up to and over a year after the operation and then they went away. Take care xx
    • Posted

I may try milk thistle where can you get it?

Still having stomach cramps particularly first thing in the morning. Possibly a bit constipated. Dr said to me a couple of days ago this was not unusual after gallbladder removal and it would settle down.

I had gallbladderr removed at end of April and they said I would be fine within 3 weeks.

3 onths down the line I do not regret having my gallbladder removed but really just wish they had been honest with me from the beginning.

Sarah

• Posted

I know Sarah. It's a pity they are honest with us all. I think the reality is that it can take between 6-12 months for the body to adjust. Has your diarrhea stopped now? The ppis can cause constipation so just be aware in case you get loose stools when you stop them. You can get milk thistle in any health store pharmacy or drug store. That sick feeling in the morning is dreadful. I've really started to feel better since I started the milk thistle and also had a large ovarian cyst partially rupture 2 weeks ago which I think the milk thistle had helped. I think that cyst was causing a lot of my symptoms the vomiting nausea and breast tenderness and irregular period. It was just unfortunate for me that I had the stone and the cyst. It's still there but a lot smaller. Thankfully no indigestion or heartburn either that's all gone. Am going to keep taking the milk thistle as it can only help further my recovery. For the first time in 7.5 months I feel I will get better. Take care and try and remember it will pass but none of us know when.xxx
    • Posted

Thank you I will get some milk thistle and I will let you know once I have tried it for a while. Thank you for telling me about your problrm and how you have also had a fibroid. I got  calcium carbonate today so I hope it will work
    • Posted

Hello joy35544,

How are you feeling? I just had my Gallbladder removed (July 21, 2015) and after a few days i was started to having pains. Pains are located mainlyonthe right side and radiate to my back. Also pain/tender on my lower chest bone. also get pains on my left side as well.

• Posted

Hello sarah87162,

How are you feeling? I just had my Gallbladder removed (July 21, 2015) and after a few days i was started to having pains. Pains are located mainlyonthe right side and radiate to my back. Also pain/tender on my lower chest bone. also get pains on my left side as well.

• Posted

That sounds like what I have. I have got myself upset and worried about these pains but if you have had your gallbadder remover 2015 and  still getting them they must be a side effect of the removeal.. They never told me there would be any problems after just that i would be pleased it was done as it would be an end to my problems. I was so ill when they removed it took 3 hours as it was in a mess and the surgeon we to see my husband and toldd him he didn't know how I'd keeped going so long as it was a mess. I am worried it has caused more damage
    • Posted

Hello Joy35544,

I had a follow up with my surgeon yesterday. So far he said my healing process seems to be going ok. I explained to him my new pains that I am beginning to have. I explained the pains i am having as if the Gallbladder is still there. He said its not uncommon. He reminded me that even my procedure took less than a hour i did still have a major surgery. Back in the day patients use to be in the hospital for almost a week vs today its just a few hours and you are sent home. He told me to give it some time to heal since they blew up my stomach with air and body parts were moved around and also one part was removed. He mentioned to give it 6 weeks. My theory is there still could be air inside or the body parts within are just still trying to settle in since they were moved around.

Meanwhile the best thing to do it to watch what we eat. That make a big difference. No more fatty foods. I know it sounds horrible. Also need to eat lots of yogart, take Pro-biotics (make sure to have Bulgarian yogart in the label), Fiber, Rice (reason for rice it help to keep bowl movements together instead of loose), IBGARD peppermint pills (can find in Walgreens or just google and order from website), and Milk Thistle. These are some tips i recieved and read.

Also i read  that it much harder to recover if you are over the age of 40. Seems people have a harder time if you are much older since the body cant quit adjust as fast as it use to.

Hope this helps. Will keep you updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.