Worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am a male aged 52 , for more years than I can remember I have had a fast pulse and what I think are occasional missed beats  or an irregular beat. I went into hospital a couple of years ago with kidney stones and they picked up on high blood pressure and tachycardia. The did a few ecg's but never said there was a problem, ny bp did come down though.

I also a year later went to my GP's with a stye on my eye & the practice nurse said it was time they did a general health check. I said my BP would be high ( I am anxious in clinic) and it was high, they checked my pulse and this was also fast, they an ecg and a doctor in the next room said it was fine "just fast". They took bloods and all came back fine , just a little high on cholesterol. They agreed I did home BP readings twice a day and record them , most of the readings when rested were between 125/80 & 141/94. But even with the lower readings the pulse is nearly 100.

I work in a hard physical job and I never have any problems doing so, I also never have any chest pain. I am always frightened to have my vital statistics checked as I am extremely fearful of having to undergo surgery as I had a patent ductus arteriosis reparied as a 5yr old child which left me frightened of heart surgery. I have silently put up with these paliptations for over 25 years due to my fear of doctors.

Apart from the what I see as missed beats/arrythmia? and occasional high bp I always feel fine & am always able to work hard, I can carry heavy equipment up many flights of stairs and work for hours without proble,m.

If I "was" to see my GP , what could I expect to happen. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Firstly a normal heart rate range is between 60/100 so it could be normal for you, if you sit quietly for 10 mins what is it then

Are you anxious when you take it, if so that will increase it, mine can bump up to 160 when I'm anxious and they don't medicate me just tell me to calm down and it does settle round 72 go and talk to your gp and explain how you feel they can then reassure you all is ok or they would be doing more tests like echo.

Where do you live

• Posted

hi its prob all normal for yoiu, i hav exactly what you have which hasjust reared up yet again after months break, are yoiu stressed or worried at the moment?  i also fear GP and hosptitals etc, i must say pretty bad testing service over here i seem to keep returning to my GP who wont do certain tests i want a full MOT which im sure you do to reasure but good luck as  think the only way this happens is if you drop dead or similar...................... god knows whats normal any longer but if you dont feel right insist.....
  • Posted

I think it would be a good idea, at your age, to go and have an MOT, after all you have nothing to lose. Better to have a check up now, the docs will take your anxiety into account when taking your BP.
  • Posted

Hi,

Like I said above I had the health check (MOT) inc all bloods, ecg, BP,urine etc

But they didnt say anything is wrong.

• Posted

So why are you worried, there the experts and sometimes we need to except there opinion/diagnosis
    • Posted

Maybe as you get older you should reduce the amount of heavy lifting you do if you can as that can over stress the heart and give you higher BP. I am 49 and had OHS a couple of years ago, I also suffer arrythmias which the cardiac team have prescribed betablockers which help. I have always had good treatment under the NHS and am not worried about Drs and hospitals. Obviously everyone is different but the Drs are trained and should know the best course of action.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.