Worried about anaesthetic

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with cfs following the measles virus in 2012.

I have recently had lots of problems with my womb and have an appointment with the gynaecologist on 22nd July. My Gp thinks my best option is a full hysterectomy. I am very worried about this because I just know my body will not cope well with it at all. I have probably one good day a week at the moment and any illness just knocks me off my feet.

Has anyone recently been through this or have any advice in this area?

Many thanks in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

I can understand your concern. I am diagnosed with cfs/me and had to have an operation.

I would certainly suggest the following...

Ask for the least evasive surgery (key hole is best).

Ask for cfs/me be stated in your referral for op notes. It may be in your hospital notes a way back and not be read.

Speak to the aneathetist (can't spell that lol) before your op and ensure he is aware of your cfs/me and has some understanding of it.

My op went ok though I did take over an hour to come round inrecovery, not the expected 10/20 minutes. They kept me in overnight just as a precaution. With a hysterectomy they would do that anyway.

My Anaethestist was fab and pre read up on cfs/me. He could not find any proven medical evidence that cfs/me sufferers could not have ga or have a major effect on them, but was accutely aware and be very aware whilst under ga (he was in attendance throughout).

I believe it's the stress on our body from an op and ga that can affect us sufferers. Rest, rest and rest after....you will have to anyway with an hystorectomy.

Hope that helps a little.

xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Inot.

I will most definitely follow all your advice. 😊 xx

• Posted

hi Gayle,

Well, all I can say is that I have had CFS (of unknown origin) since I was 12, and I had a full hysterectomy, with ovaries as well, when I was forty and I coped remarkably well. The benefit of getting rid of my mouldy ovaries outweighed the repercussions of anaesthetic. I have had several ops since then and haven't had any problems.  I always feel better post op as I'm doing nothing but resting!! Not trying to juggle parenthood, work, life etc etc.  But we are all so different and what was okay for me may not be for you, so that's not much help really!!  Hope it all works through okay. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank-you for your reply Deborah .

Since you were 12, oh my goodness. I have only been suffering for 3 years but it already feels like an eternity.

I tried desperately to go back to work after my original illness which brought on the cfs, but I couldn't manage it.

I had about 18 months off work, then got a random little part time job for a few months but I couldn't even manage that, it just totally wiped me out. I left there about 4 months ago and since that I feel I'm just going down hill. I rest most days so reading from the hysterectomy will be no big issue haha.

I don't know how you manage to juggle all those things.

I'm 42 and was quite concerned having a hysterectomy so young in comparison to most, but after speaking to a few people it does seem to make everything better after. Fingers crossed xx

• Posted

I had an operation when I severed the tendon in my thumb. I was fine with the anasthetic but I said 'No antibiotics!! The surgeon was horrified and my hand and arm swelled up and were painful but as soon as I got home I took grapefruit seed extract and myrrh and after 2 or 3 doses through the day the swelling went down and I was fine.
    • Posted

That's good news and good to know.

Thank you for your reply Georgia xx

• Posted

I too was worried as I had to undergo a hip transplant and bone graft for a very bad arthritic hip. Luckily I has a surgeon who was sympathetic, organised a single occupancy room for me and helped in every respect with my recovery.

It was a very long operaton indeed, yet I came through it fine and without any real additional problems to the ME/CFS afterwards. In fact the operation was such a success it greatly helped my general health.

My advice is to talk to your surgeon and make him aware of your problems and enlist as much help as you can in the recovery period. I'm pretty badly affected by the ME/CFS, so much so that I can't work at all but I consider that hip operation one of the successes of the whole period of the ME/CFS that I've been through, and I too think it will almost certainly do you more good than harm...

Oh and best of luck....smile

• Posted

Hi Mike

Thank you for your reply

It's good to hear you suffered no extra effects from your anaesthetic. I hope I am the same.

Many thanks for your wishes xx

• Posted

Hi Gayle, have you spoken to a homeopath? They are much better with this condition than your GP. It is cognative as well as physical and they will guide you with the rest you require better than the NHS do.

Potentially your body is not using it's adrenal properly, as it will have shut down to protect itself afters years of over-use. From experience of the condition I know it will be potentially more traumatic for your body to go through other issues without the ability to reply on your adrenal.

You need to fully sort out your nutrition. Msg me if you would like more specific tips.

Cheers, Mark

• Posted

I had my gall bladder removed this February but am only about now getting back to my pre operation ability level.  I am not able to work anyway so have been resting.  Be gentle with your self and give yourself lots of time.  I might just been unlucky but was at least going out 2-3 times a week before the operation but now rarely.

sally x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.