Worried about bowel movement post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst. Right side. Some thickening ( not sure what that means but it changed consultants view about how to remove ovary and now total abdominal hysterectomy). I also suffer from diverticular disease and this has delayed diagnosis. Now I am sore and don't know whether it is diverticular problems or cyst. Bowel movements are a daily battle and often incomplete. Really worried about after operation. I have Laxido but as with all of these meds it gives me pain and the need to go more often. I am hoping once cyst has gone that there will be more space and all will settle down. Any advice ladies?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thesheen, have they said why they want to do a hysterectomy as opposed to just taking the large cyst away with the ovary?  If it were me, I think I would ask again what they mean about 'thickening' and exactly whether your diverticular problems would be better after a hysterectomy.  Take care.

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to reply. Total hysterectomy is my choice as I do not want to be back here again. I was going to have an abdominal cut anyway to ensure cyst is removed intact. The diverticular disease will always be with me but it was manageable before this. It is nice that people like you take time to help and support others. 😊

• Posted

Hi Thesheen, I've just had a large cyst/fibroid removed which was attached to my right ovary.  I was also concerned about having a total hysterectomy but my consultant assured me that if she removed just the cyst then I may have to have further surgery in the future.  To be honest I was so uncomfortable before the operation, couldn't walk well, in pain, toilet issues too I was glad I took her recommendations and had it all removed.  I've had some pain but it's been bearable and now 8 weeks after my op I feel so much better (only take a few paracetamol each day).  It will take a while for your bladder and bowel to settle after the op (Im still on laxatives) and my bladder felt bruised for the first 6 weeks (but I'm told that's the cathetar). My insides did feel a bit like everything had been moved around!  High fibre diet and lots of water help too!  The biggest bonus is a flatter tummy (what I had removed was the size of a melon, I'm still in shock about that now).  I feel confident that the surgery, for me, was the right thing to do.  It took a while for me to accept I had to have something so drastic done but now I look back and don't regret it.  I've just gone onto HRT to help with the hot flushes and touch wood it's working.  I look and feel so much better now.  Still have to take it easy and not pushing shopping trolleys or vaccuming, lifting anything heavy for a few more weeks.  You really do have to be kind to yourself and take it easy.  Take each day at a time, you'll be able to walk around and 'potter' about after the op and accept any help that's offered by friends and family.  I hope this helps you and good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you for this. It has cheered me up. I look as if I am 6 months pregnant at the moment. Tracksuit trousers for the day and a dressing gown as soon as I can in the evening. Weight has piled on over this last year and I am now less active due to discomfort and probably eating things that I would not have done before. I so want to be thinner! I also believe that if I am having surgery for cyst I should get rid of all the rest - I don't want to be here again. You have given me hope that I will feel better soon. Many thanks. 

• Posted

You are welcome!  I'm still in my 'jeggings' best thing I brought as I can't tolerate a zip on jeans, too uncomfortable!  It's a positive step now having the op and getting yourself sorted out and then you can tackle the weight loss.  It will help when you are more active, all they recommend is walking to start with.  Concentrate on getting yourself ready for the op.  I do my food shopping online now and get all your little jobs done.  You really will be fine, I was so scared before the op and now I look back and wonder what I was frightened of?  Being in pain maybe or immobile?  It's not been as bad as I thought it would be x

• Posted

Hi,

Although fibre is the general recommendation for constipation, it doesn't work for me.  High fibre just makes me more constipated as does wholemeal bread etc.  I found fruit and lots of it worked for me together with drinks of any sort (except alcohol of course) plus after my op, laxatives helped as well together with a mixture of cereal and muesli for breakfast.  Prune fruit juice is good but don't drink too much of it as sometimes it can have a quick reaction!  Don't know if this will be any help to you.  Good luck.

• Posted

Fibre makes me so much worse as well. Family joke about me working in reverse! I now manage having banana and pears for  breakfast but this still requires some 'effort' which I am assuming is a 'no' after operation. I have had to cut out most vegetables as they set either diverticular disease or IBS off. Things I have eaten for years upset me. I am hoping that this is down to the cramped conditions inside my tummy and a miracle cure is awaiting......  thank you for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.