Worried about endoscopy biopsy results!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 37 year old female. At the beginning of November 2015 I started with nausea and occasional vomitting. I was eventually referred to a Gastroenterologist. About 2 weeks ago I underwent an endoscopy. Immediately following the procedure I was informed I had a hiatus hernia and was given management advice. 4 biopsies of my upper small bowel were also taken and I was informed these would be available in approximately 2 weeks from my GP. I thought that was the end of it and I'd been referred back to my GP. However, today I received a letter from the clinic detailing an appointment with the gastro consultant. All it says that after he reviewed my results he wants to see me! I rang the clinic for further info but they couldn't tell me anything. I rang my GP but they had no results either! I'm just now very worried that the results of the biopsies are sinister?? They certainly can't be normal anyway, or the consultant would have just referred me back to the GP!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, why were you called back to clinic? I'm terrified!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

This makes me so mad when doctors do this to people. Wonder how they would like it. Not fair at all to a patient. When you get through this illness I would switch to a diffrrent doctor if i ever had an issue again. When you do talk to him or her if you are up to it let them know how upsetting it was.you are giving them a job and they get paid for it so dont hesitate to let them know. Mean while,youd be surprised how often it turns out to not be anything much to worry about. Ive been scared because of them saying things then makeing you wait and it turned out to be nothing. Keep us posted. Did you tell them how upset you are. Have him or his nurse call you. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Lee,

Good advice, but I suspect you might be in the US, whereas I'm guessing from Louise's writing style that she's in the UK. I spent 10 years working as a nurse in the NHS, and can confirm that it's unfortunately quite rare for consultants to agree to talk to patients.

I totally agree with you that it's scandalous, but I'm afraid that's how the UK system works most of the time.

• Posted

Hi lily,thats upsetting. Yes im in the U.S. hard to get any answers at times here also. Could use improvement both countries.
    • Posted

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your reply. I am in the UK, so have no real say in who I get referred to unfortunately. It's just worrying that on the day I was told my biopsy results would be available from my GP after 2 weeks, yet now I'm being asked to go back to clinic. I'm guessing it's to get my biopsy results??

• Posted

Hi Louisa,

This doesn't automatically mean it's sinister at all. All kinds of conditions can be picked up on biopsy, not just malignancies. For example, coeliac disease can be diagnosed from a biopsy of the upper part of the small bowel. Not a nice thing to have, but not dangerous. And that's just one example.

Hospitals never disclose biopsy results over the phone, and it's quite possible your GP wasn't sent the results if the consultant decided he wanted to see you again. I can understand that you're a bit worried about this but I do think you're probably reading a bit too much into it.

May I ask how long you're going to have to wait for the consultant appointment?

• Posted

Hi Lily,

Thanks for your reply. 14 days until my appointment, which I'm aware is the maximum time for a UCR.....😢😢

• Posted

Hi Louisa

What were the results of your biopsies in the end?

I have an Upper GI Endoscopy tomorrow and fearing for my life what they might find!

• Posted

Hi Kay,

The results were inconclusive. They showed inflammation & small cell changes, so still don't know what I'm dealing with! They're running a few more tests.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you having one? X

• Posted

It's either pre barrett's oesophagus, celiacs disease or a dose of helicobacter pylori​, so nothing too sinister at all smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Benny. The pylori test was done at the time of the endoscopy and was negative. My blood results do not indicate celiacs.....so I'm rather worried. If it was something 'simple', wouldn't my GP deal with it?
    • Posted

Hi Louise,

I imagine you're referring to the target waiting times set out under the NHS's Urgent and Emergency Care Review, so I can see why you're anxious. I don't know much about this, as I left the NHS more than 40 years ago. (And contrary to what everyone says, it wasn't much better then either!) I've just done a search to try and find the actual criteria for cases falling under the remit of the Review, but can only find a whole lot of "officialese". I don't therefore know what conditions would be considered urgent under its terms. But I still don't think you should assume the worst. I suspect this might also vary from one region to another. The NHS is infamous for its "post-code lottery". This could mean that a condition not considered particularly urgent in one area could be viewed as such in another.

I still don't think you should worry unduly about this. "Abnormal" doesn't meant the same as "sinister" when it comes to biopsy results. Also, the NHS is famous for its administrative muddles. It may very well be that this is what has happened. We're always hearing about people with really serious conditions who slip through the net, but over-reaction to harmless results tends not to get reported.

I do wish, though, that the NHS would adopt a more patient-centred approach. As far as I can make out, both as a former employee and more recently when going through the final illnesses of both parents, the whole thing seems set up to serve the needs of the consultants and managers. And it was ever thus - not as many managers in the old days but the consultants were total megalomaniacs back then, far worse than now. I may have lived in a terrorist-ridden, failed European State for the past 40 years but at least we have a decent, patient-oriented health service!

OK, end of rant. Don't keep googling stuff and frightening yourself. It doesn't sound to me as if your original symptoms were bad enough to warrant a sinister diagnosis anyway. And at least you only have to wait two weeks.

Everyone in here is rooting for you. Don't be afraid to come back if you want to talk about it furter. And above all, please come back and let us know what the outcome of your consultant appointment is!

• Posted

It's surprising me but maybe you are just experiencing, shock horror, a really good service eek I know who would believe it lol redface
    • Posted

Hi Lily, didn't get chance to thank you for your message the other day. Just had a few manic days.

It's still playing on my mind, and I can't help but Google it. I know I shouldn't, and I'm going to stop myself now.

I've got a long history of bowel problems, which was always put down to IBS. Had numerous colonoscopies, a sigmoid, and now 2 Gastroscopies. Got a history of abdo pain, bloating etc, but it's been constant for a few weeks now, and also have lose stools which is unusual for me. Additionally just feel unwell and exhausted all the time. My bloods show low red blood count, but not enough to be anemic. So given the history, it's adding to my concerns. It wasn't just the nausea and vomitting xx

• Posted

Hi,my son has been feeling nauseated and vomitting plus diariaha for a few months,they did an endoscopy with biopsies,nothing,all clear. They said he probably has ibs but i worry about the blood. Maybe your loose stools are from ibs?Wish I knew what was happening with my son. He also had a full blood work up,no infection or celiac. Its a worry.
    • Posted

He also had blood.
    • Posted

Hi Louisa,

A long history of bowel problems actually makes it less likely that you have cancer, as things would probably have got a lot worse by now. Also, if nothing has been found on numerous colonoscopies and a sigmoidoscopy, there clearly isn't anything to be found in your lower bowel (which is where trouble is far more likely to start).

Lots of us get IBS-type problems - I know I do. When I haven't got diarrhoea I'm constipated, and I often look five months' pregnant! But I know the signs of anything really serious, and I haven't got them.

I'm just wondering what medications you might have been on over the past couple of years. Not NSAIDs by any chance?

• Posted

Hi Lily & Lee. thanks for your messages. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond. May I ask you both what brought you to the forums?

Sorry to hear about your son Lee. How old is he? As I mentioned, I've had a long history of bowel problems. One of which was altered bowel habit, abdo pain and blood. Had a colonoscopy and haemorrhoids were found and dealt with. That was years ago, but every now and again I get blood. It could be a lot of things like IBS, piles, Diverticular, a tear maybe? Has it been going on for long?

Lily, I know I might sound to be unreasonably worried, but I'm no spring chicken anymore haha. I don't know why, but I've got it into my head that it's Lymphoma....

Xx

• Posted

Strange that you should think of lymphoma (the non-Hodgkins type I presume). That's pretty rare in the intestines and if you did have it the obstruction would almost certainly have been picked up by all those colonoscopies. It also progresses quite fast so you'd probably be in much more trouble than you are by now.

I'm no spring chicken either, I'm 72. And I actually have a statistically increased risk of n-H lymphoma as I suffer from an auto-immune disease (Sjogren's syndrome) that can predispose to it. But the way I look at it, if I've survived this far, a few minor abdominal symptoms aren't going to carry me off! When I first got my diagnosis, my doctor told me I was entitled to two-yearly full-body MRI scans under our State insurance system. I thought about that one and decided against it. I was already turned 60 by that time and I know that when you start doing MRIs on someone that age there's a good chance you'll find something slightly suspicious that would probably have gone away if left alone!

Try to trust your body. Constant anxiety about your healt communicates the wrong message to your immune system and can actually trigger the one thing you're afraid of.

Once again, I can't help wondering what medications you've been taking in the past year or two.

• Posted

Hello, i understand you cause I am also waiting for biopsy results. What was it in the end?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.