Worried about husbands swollen lymph node

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband just returned from the Dr's and his visit has left me worried. He has had a swollen lymph node in his neck for a few weeks now. It's been sore and painful. He's been feeling a little tired and runned down (but works overtime every week) but nothing unusual. He's a healthy 49 year old that still works out and is in top shape. The Dr wants to send him for blood tests and an MRI on his neck. I am concerned about this since 18 years ago he had problems with his lymph nodes under his arms swelling and was having night sweats at the time. The Dr did blood tests then, and it was nothing. I guess I'm just scared at this point. What could it be this time?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacy, your husband's GP is doing the right thing, so try not to worry.  Enlarged lymph nodes usually mean there is an infection somewhere in the body.  

I hope everything goes well, when will your husband have the MRI scan, is there much of a wait?  The blood tests might give a clue.

• Posted

He goes in for the MRI on Monday. I was worried because of the problems he had 18 years ago. The Dr doesn't really suspect anything since the node is soft and pliable. My husband did tell me that it goes larger then smaller and that did give me some relief! LOL just a little jumpy I guess. In 1998 I found a 3 cm lump on my thyroid. The Dr thought it was nothing but sent me for a biopsy. It was papillary carcinoma. I had my thyroid removed and had radioactive oblation. I don't like lumps of ANY kind now. Even the ones the Dr isn't worried about. LOL Thank you mrsmop, I think I just needed to be talked off the ledge. XD
    • Posted

I hope all goes well on Monday, Stacy and I know exactly how you feel about things like that.

Let me know how it goes and good luck to you both.

• Posted

Hi. I have just been diagnosed with lymphoma and understand your concerns. What I don't understand is why, 18 years ago, a biopsy wasn't done as he had swollen lymph nodes and night sweats. Blood tests do not show up cancer. BUT, if the nodes are sore and he's feeling run down it's more likely to be an infection than cancer. An MRI will help make the diagnosis - til then keep busy and try not to worry, though I know that's easier said than done.
    • Posted

The lymph nodes that were swollen then were under his arms, both arms actually and they were quite large. He went to the Dr then because these nodes stayed enlarged for several months and the night sweats he was having were awful. He was having no other symptoms other then being tired, but we sort of ignored that. He was working a job that was physically demanding as well as driving 4 hours a day round trip to get there. Back then, the Dr was concerned he might have tuberculosis. That in it self was terrifying!

At this point, the lymph node that's swollen is under his jaw so it's a different node. No night sweats this time, however. This node has been swollen for almost a month now, and I guess it just has me rattled. He was feeling runned down a bit but he's been working overtime at work so again, we weren't sure if that was the cause of the fatigue or if it was something else. The fatigue only lasted several days but the nodes are still swollen and it's been a month.

Thank you Joy, for your kind response. I pray everything works out for you. I'll stay busy for sure, you stay strong.

• Posted

It's not easy to stay strong is it. But like you, I'm keeping busy. Just remember, if it is "the dreaded", which it may well not be, the advances the medical profession have made over recent years are quite remarkable. I googled "worse case scenario" and was reassured to find that even that is treatable. Let me know how he gets on, I'm sending you positive thoughts x.
    • Posted

Hi. I am at the hospital this afternoon to find out which lymphoma I have so keep everything crossed for me! Let battle commence!
    • Posted

Good luck Joy, everything duly crossed!

• Posted

Just got back from hospital. Bone marrow test on Wednesday, waiting for appointment at St Thomas's in London for pet scan and back to Queen Elizabeth's on the 25th!! Non Hodgkin's large B cell lymphoma. Let battle commence!
    • Posted

I wish you well with it all, Joy.  Where are you based?  I know where Tommy's is and the QE Birmingham but I am also aware that there are QE's in other places too.  The travelling can be rather onerous.  I hope you have someone to take you and be with you.

You sound ready for a fight, good luck!

• Posted

I live in Erith in Kent (near Dartford). We're about 30/40 minutes away from London on the train. My husband was in St. Thomas's about 5 years ago after he suffered a mini stroke (TIA), it's a great hospital. God bless the NHS! Our Queen Elizabeth hospital is only about 20/30 minutes away in the car so we're very lucky. My husbabd is very good, determined to come with me in every visit bless him. I really appreciate you talking to me, thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.