Worried about MS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Over the past 2 weeks i've noticed some troubling symptoms that don't seem to point to anything but MS.

It started with tingling and pins and needles in both hands and feet. That has since subsided but I now have dull aches and shooting pains all around my body. My legs are affected mostly but sometimes my right arm or left arm might ache.

I had an MRI on my brain last october and an MRI on my spine last week which have both come back normal. I've seen 3 doctors who think I'm okay but I can't seem to shake the feeling I have MS.

I thought I was recovering and getting over the feeling until I had 2 new weird symptoms. Over the past few days I've had a feeling that there is something under my left big toe, like a piece of tape or something. I've checked multiple times and there is nothing there.

The other weird symptom is I've woken up in the morning with my right hand partially numb (everything excluding my thumb and index finger). I don't believe I was sleeping on it either.

I've been reassured its nothing but I cant seem to shake this awful feeling. I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to keep annoying doctors but my mind is always racing and if i truely do have something wrong with me I don't want it to get worse but delaying a diagnosis.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you had your B12 tested? Numb and tingling hands and feet, and shooting pains are just some of the many possible symptoms of deficiency. Other common symptoms are fatigue, depression or irritability, ringing ears, hair loss, outer portion of eyebrows missing, many more (google B12 deficiency).

Doctors are working with an outdated normal range for B12 levels. Anything under 400 pg/nL or ng/L should be investigated. Normal people should have a level of 900 or so. Most doctors use 200 or even less as a low cutoff but since you are experiencing neurological symptoms you may need to push for treatment should your level be below 400 but above the low cutoff.

Risks of becoming B12 deficient include: H pylori infection, pernicious anemia runs in the family, long term use of PPIs or H2 blockers or other medications such as metformin, vegan/vegetarian diet for several years or more (B12 is only in animal products), or gastric surgery.

• Posted

I've had multimedia blood tests done and the two doctors I saw have both said everything is normal.

I don't get much tingling any more just aches and pains. Right now my right arm is quite sore.

Should I be taking the advice of my doctors and accept that it's not MS or seek out a neurologist?

• Posted

Sorry, that was multiple blood tests.

Also thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Don't just take what your doctors have said is normal. Get the actual numbers. You are entitled to your own copy, whether you are in the US or UK or somewhere else. You may need to pay for a printout.
    • Posted

Yes you should find a neurologist.

My B12 story started with occasional bouts of fatigue over the years. Then my feet got sore for a few months. I then got a wadded up sock feeling in one foot. That went away and I got a very sharp pain in the ball of my foot, then both feet. After a couple months the soles of my feet were burning and I could only sleep with my feet uncovered. Months later I had foot surgery for a neuroma (swollen nerve), and rapidly got very ill afterwards. It took 3-1/2 months to get a diagnosis of B12 deficiency/pernicious anemia and I had seen 5 doctors by then plus several trips to the ER. By then I had shooting pains in my legs, was very moody, terrible insomnia, panic attacks, and more. When it was finally tested my B12 level was 196, barely below the minimum cutoff used by my doctor. It caused severe nerve damage and I am disabled as a result. B12 deficiency isn't something to mess around with. 

• Posted

it could be chemical sensitivities or or maybe even mercury poisoning search for mercury poisoning.it might be mercury if you have tooth fillings??like those silver fillings?
    • Posted

Haven't had anything done to my teeth at all.

Hoping it's just stress and anxiety.

• Posted

Hi I must admit I have those symptoms too but I have MS. However, have you had a vit b12 test? If you continue with these symptoms ask for Neuro referral and a lumbar puncture and or evoked potentials. Goid luck
    • Posted

The hardest thing to understand is if it's actually ms or anxiety. I'm trying to lean to anxiety.

I've had my b12 tested and that's come back fine.

Is your ms rr or pp? Hope all is well regardless.

• Posted

Hi, I was never told but when I learnt there was four different MS I assumed the RR as I have symptoms all the time but definitely flare ups. I also have other odd symptoms that aren't ms. I have what seems to me mild crohns, abdominal problems including throwing up and acid reflux and bowel problems, I also get arthritic type flare ups. I too have anxiety its horrible isn't it, very physical, I use self hypnosis. Try hypnotherapy, it can help. Kindest regards Lorraine
    • Posted

I really hope things get better for you Lorraine. No body should have to go through any of that.

Anxiety is awful and it's becoming clear that it can have a physical impact.

Thanks for you're help =).

• Posted

Aw bless you, you too, let us know how you are from time to time. I have the saying everything passes. We just get these horrible things that hit us like a punch don't we. You sound lovely take care. 🍀
    • Posted

Keeping a positive attitude really does help.

Thanks again for your help! You've put a much needed smile on my face today =).

• Posted

Hi there, I know it's been a while but I'm inferring if your symptoms ever went away or if you got a diagnosis? Thanks!

• Posted

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Yes it's been a while since I started this conversation but since then things have been up and down. I started taking medication to treat my anxiety and that did that trick or so I though. For about 6 months I was feeling good, still had some small symptoms but it didn't worry me. Now I'm off those meds and I did well for a while but I've now got some weird buzzing going on in my left foot and light-headedness which I'm hoping is anxiety.

I saw a neurologist who looked at my mri and was confident nothing was wrong with me but yeah it's weird to keep having different small symptoms with no explanation.

Hope you're well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.