Worried about my husband's symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.  

Sorry if this is lengthy but any help/input would be much appreciated.  Very new to this.  Where to begin...

About 8 months ago my husband started having really terrible night sweats, absolutely soaking the bed.  This has continued and the whole time he is always having abdominal pains and lower back pains.  Quite often has diarreah then says he feels like he is constipated.

Around Christmas time he started urinating blood.  Got referred to have a cystoscopy (camera into the bladder) and all was fine.  Still urinating blood.  Then in January pain got really severe and said he had a kidney stone.  Inserted a stent for a few weeks but when he had it taken out stone had gone.

Had a couple of episodes of really severe itching over his stomach area.  Weirdly his lower back pain is worse after drinking alcohol, not that he drinks much and that's why it's more noticeable.

Also had a painless swelling on topside of his wrist a few weeks ago but has since gone.  No lumps or anything that we have noticed.

Had first appointment with endocrinology on friday where hogkins was mentioned and never really knew anything about it, so now referring him for a host of blood tests, 24 hour urine test and ct scan.  He is 39.

So any thoughts/suggestions/information?  Thanks so much for reading xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

amys13. I understand it must be very worrying. It could be so many things.

The blood tests will be the way he can be diagnosed. I have Polycythemia Vera. The blood tests showed a high red and white blood count. That is how I was diagnosed by the Hematologist. You will just have to wait for the blood tests, that is the sure way to find out what is the cause of all the symptoms. I was scared about my diagnosis, but after 4 yrs, I am doing fine with the meds I'm on. I sincerely hope your husband's diagnosis is so easily discovered and treated.  Best wishes,

harrishill 

• Posted

Hi harrishill1.  Thank so much for your reply.  He had some normal blood tests carried out by the GP - the usual FBC etc.  They were all fine - he is now having in depth ones (although what exactly I'm not sure!)  I thought if there were anything untoward going on that would have been picked up in his normal blood test?

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and thank you again.

• Posted

hi amys13. No, quite often the GP does blood tests but not the CBC that is necessary to detect a high red or white blood count. It sounds that that is what they are doing now? Once you get that back, your Gp shd send him to a Hematologist to be diagnosed. (unless of course, the hematologist is the one who ordered the CBC). The hematologist will find out what is wrong. I have confidence in my GP but I Have a rare disease and the Hematologist hast o handle the blood tests. Let us know what you find out. We are all happy to comment and discuss each others results.

harrishill

• Posted

Hi Amys13, your husband is lucky to have you concerned for him! Hodgkins disease (Hodgkins lymphoma) would be on the list of possibilities, and it sounds like they're checking for that (the continuing night sweats are very suspicious, especially with itching for no reason and alcohol-related symptoms). It is not diagnosed by a blood test but by CT scan then a biopsy of any suspicious lymph nodes. Blood tests can show other problems besides HD, or if it is HD, how his body is responding and if there are other issues to be concerned about. If the basic blood tests were within normal limits that's good! The kidney stone/bleeding may not be related at all. The good news - if it turns out to be HD, in most cases it is quite treatable, even curable, especially if the patient is young and in good health otherwise.

Best wishes to you and your husband, and let us know how you're doing! Remember to take some time to care for yourself too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.