worried about scan for fibroid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I was diagnosed with a large fibroid (7cm) about two years

ago. I didn't really follow up any treatment at the time as it wasn't really causing me any problems. I felt so relieved it wasn't cancer I think I buried my head in the sand. Anyway - a couple of months ago my womb seemed to be bigger for more than the usual few days (it always swells before my period) yet my periods seem more normal. I visited my doctor who was more helpful than my previous one and she examined my womb and said it was the size of a 18wk pregnancy. She thinks it has grown and I am going for a scan next Friday. I'm really worried - worried its something else. I lay in bed holding my stomach which feels huge. My doc said she doesn't think that is a symptom of the fibroid as the fibroid won't go up and down in size but wondered if anyone else has this. Also I'm confused that my periods don't seem so heavy anymore. I'm so worried and feel so foolish. sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Honestly, there really is no need to feel foolish as unfortunately we are all in the same boat here!

My fibroid (well one of them) is 8cm and initially my womb wasn't that big either but it has got bigger - I've been told as big as a 20wk pregnancy. My periods are heavy but not as heavy as they previously were - I used to have a lot of clots.

Feel free to ask anything and please don't feel foolish.

Let us know how you get on - good luck 👍🏽

• Posted

Hi Ali

I have had exactly the same as you, I am now 7 weeks post Total Hysterectomy. First I knew about my fibroid was last July when I was admitted to hospital with a Abcess on my ovary possibly caused by a decaying fibroid, however in having that, they discovered multiple fibroids the biggest being the size of a 16 week pregnancy. Prior to that they didn't cause me any real issues, my periods were quiet light at one stage leading me to think I might be going through the menopause. After I had been diagnosed and I knew it was there I would be able to lie down and actully feel the size of it when I pressed down on my lower abdomen area. I am now feeling much better in myself since the op and it has made me realise what I thought as normal before the op (swollen stomach,lethagy, occasional heavy periods) were infact to do with the fibrois. Remember not everyone is the same and we all have different symptoms at varing degrees so dont feel foolish, go for all your tests and dont be worried there are lots of different methods of dealing with fibriods,  The internet is a very good source of information. Please keep updating your progress on this forum and dont hesitate to ask me any questions Iwill e more than happy to help.

Take care

Nikki x

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think I have become so used to living with the symptoms they seem normal now to me. I do get very tired around my period so have been taking an iron supplement and exercising more. I thought that was helping as my periods have been much lighter. That's why I'm now surprised its suddenly grown (well, seems sudden). I will update when I know more - its good to know your feeling much better post op. Do you mind if I ask how old you are - my doctor said if its growing they will want to perform a hysterectomy but because of my age (41) they will hold off which isn't great to hear.

Thanks

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ali

Im 45 and have not had any children. The thing with fribroids they continue to grow as long as you produce oestrogen and that is why my consultant advised a hysterectomy, I did have a course of Zoladex a Monthly implant that stopped me producing oestrogen in order to try and shrink them but did not really work so had to have a bikini cut,. The scan you are having is noting to worry about, it is painless and i would imangine it is so they can determine how many,where they are growing and how big, so dont worry too much.

Nikki x

• Posted

Hi

I had a similar experience. My fibroid grew to an enormous size in the end ( equivalent to 28 week pregnancy the doc said) but I didn't have any issues with my periods because the fibroid was mainly growing on the external wall of the uterus. If the fibroid is growing on the outside wall it can grow and grow as there is nothing much to restrict it. My doctor wrote in my medical notes that the fibroid had "obliterated my pelvis"!!! I could feel it in much the same way as when I was pregnant so I knew how big it was getting.

It was successfully removed 2 years ago (myomectomy) and I'm fine now. I hope that this encourages you.

• Posted

Thanks deanne - that is encouraging. I know before it was inside my womb but I can also feel something on the outside so think they have multiplied. My womb sticks out at the level of my belly button and is really hard when I'm due for my period. It's really good to read other people's experiences - im feeling slightly less worried and more pleased I'm getting it sorted out. X
  • Posted

Hi ali

I remember that feeling well. My whole abdomen was hard and I remember being so shocked at how soft it felt after surgery as I had just got used to it feeling that way. Good Luck, you will be fine. I worried myself silly about surgery, but was so glad to get it sorted out in the end. x

• Posted

Hi Ladies

I have had my fibroids, for many years now.  Initially in the early days, I was advised to leave them, as they could shrink.  I have lost 7 stone, in the last 3 years, gradually.  As I have shrunk, the little aliens have grown and they are now taking over.  I have 4 in total, the largest is 30cm, the same size as a 28 week old.  I have finally after being passed around like a gum ball machine, met and spoke to my surgeon.  She has advised Esmya for 3 months, to try for a "miracle" to shrink them, before surgery....I received a call today, to say she can't get it, there is a hold up in the authorisation of said drug, and I am to know have weekly injections.  I have a huge fear of needles, and also the side effects of the injection, in her own words, are more so, than the Esmya.   I have contacted my own GP (awaiting reply) to see if he could prescribe it?.

Well, anyway I stumbled across this site, today. my apologies if this is a little rambled, but I am sure a fair few, must understand the worry, frustration, inconvenience and of course pain, we sufferer with the great big balls of eek!.

So, has anyone had Esmya or the injection, or can shed any light as to which I should have?  I have also been given SO man options and confusing/conflicting procedure options, that I really don't know who to turn to for some solid advice sad

• Posted

Hello Cate 77,

I have had several large fibroids and I also looked pregnant and felt depressed. Now I have taken 3 courses of Esmya (for 3 months, 5 months and 4 months) and my fibroids have shrunk quite substantially and after the last course they are not regrowing anymore. They are not gone but does not cause heavy bleeding anymore and I can wear my tight dresses again. I refused hysterectomy due to the serious lifelong side effects. I also felt that it would be very humiliating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.