Worried about the effects of treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm Paul a 39 year old male living in Australia, i got diagnosed with PRV around a month and a half ago, but have had signs of it for atleast 12 years (my Dr did a blood history check). I had my first venesection 2 weeks ago, since then i have noticed the vein they had used has basically withdrawn, even this morning for a routine blood check the vein didn't appear. normally my veins are very pronounced. also in regards to effects of Hydroxyurea, i have been on them for a week as my Dr feels it will help in regards to my spleen size (double the size that it should be, and has  caused portal hypertension among other things) but i have noticed now blood tests cause bruising, and the puncture wounds don't seem to be healing for quite some time. I have no idea if this is normal for this condition and treatment.

Regards Paul

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Paul,

I also find that the blood test sites take a while to heal and bleed sometimes.

Accidental cuts also take a time to heal and can bleed again sometimes even a day afterwards. I had put this down to taking warfarin (for the same condition).

Sorry to hear your PRV was undiagnosed for so long.

I presume you suffered some symptoms before, tho' unknowing of their cause.

But I hope those are managed now?

Nigel

• Posted

Thankyou for your response, have had symptons for quite some time, but never realised what it was all about and had no idea they were all linked, i must admit it is good to finally know why my body has been the way it is, and not just me going crazy. as treatment is still in it's very early stages i'm still yet to see any improvements, but the nurses yesterday confirmed that my bruising and slow healing is due to the medication i am now on.

Regards Paul

• Posted

I haven't had a vena section for 3 months now but when I was having them the bruise would last a week.  They'd do it in the same place each time and the vien was like gristle. Off  to hospital today for check up , 8 weeks since last one, haven't had any blood taken for 4 months now, hopefully tablets working. 
    • Posted

Hi Doug, had my second venesection yesterday and it was a totally different experiance, but having said that they took out alot less blood (100ml less) this time. one of the biggest issues was setting up the treatment, as my Haematologist is 4 hours drive away so she has setup for my treatment to be done at my local hospital, so for now i am on weekly testing and venesections till such time that my HCT levels drop to under 45%

Regards Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, do you know what your blood test was showing the 12 yrs previously pointing to PRV? or did you have symptoms of it?

Thanks and wishing you all the best!

Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.