Worried and anxiety about smear test .

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello All,  Hope someone on this forum can say that I'm not the only one on here that freaking out while waiting for results , My storey is I haven't had a smear for about 13 years now but Tuesday gone had a smear test and they removed my coil as well because I'm in my fifties and not need anymore , but waiting for results is getting too me reality bad ???? need too know anyone else going through the same thing .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne

The odds are overwhelmingly in your favour, cervical cancer has always been fairly rare, 0.65% is the lifetime risk. We might know lots of women who've had "scares" and biopsies/treatments but almost all are simply false positives and over-treatment. This problem is made worse with early screening, before 30, and over-screening.

Only about 5% of women have a small chance of benefiting from a 5 yearly Pap test, those aged 30 to 60 who test HPV+

So most women are HPV- and cannot benefit from pap testing.

The Dutch follow the evidence, they only offer pap testing to the roughly 5% who test HPV+ and you can test yourself for HPV, no need for a speculum exam. (they can be intolerable for some women, esp. post menopausal women)

Some women test or self-test only once, those HPV- and no longer sexually active or confidently monogamous.

Hope that helps...

• Posted

Morning Elise , thank you for replying, it has eased some worried about waiting !! Just wish all of us didn't have too wait so long ????.

• Posted

I don't wait at all, don't test, HPV- women cannot benefit.

All the best....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.