worried dad in need of advise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Right so where to start.first of all I'm doing this because I need some advise of someone who knows where I'm at right now.my name is Lee and I'm seriously addicted to cocodamol I'm currently taking around 15 30/500 a day and am really terrified that I'm going too die I've got two young sons and no matter how much I tell myself this is the last time I still get up the next day and drop 3 pills without even thinking about it and then count down four hours till I take the next three.I have been taking codeine for about 9 years but nothing like I am now the first time I had a motorcycle accident and broke my leg and shoulder and took them for while but got of them and every know and then I'd take a few to chill out and sleep after my brother died.currently I started taking them in February of last year after I smashed my shoulder blade and collar bone in a work accident for the first couple of months I was taking them as prescribed but then I i had a series of operations in July and August.after this the dosage started going up and up until the point that I now find myself at and I'm terrified.i can't sleep at night and sit up all night googling about liver failure and swollen brain I went too my doctors and told him that I was adicted to them and he fobbed me of and the repeat prescription just keeps coming so I just keep taking them.ive decided that I'm going to stop taking them but the thought of it gets me anxious,the weird thing is that I stopped smoking on NYE and I've not even thought of cigs cause I'm too preoccupied with these tablets it's scary.ive read that stopping suddenly can make the situation worse.so could someone please advise me what I should do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi lee , firstly you need to go back to your doctor if he wont help demand to see another doctor thats disgusting that hes not helping you , you need to get onto a program that helps you lower the dosage every week dont just stop them and cold turkey it as you will feel really poorly i know i did it myself and was really ill , im still taking 8 a day bcos i suffer severe back and hip pain and i cant take any other painkillers as im allergic to anti in flamatories , there is lots of help out there but your doctor should be your first point of contact

its  quite helpful in reducing your tablets its important you get yourself down to the prescribed daily dose then carry on reducing them one by one but do it the right way hun and you should be lots better but the doc should help you and support you if he dosnt id seriously think about changing doctors , good luck love x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it went to a "Page not found" screen.

• Posted

hi debs,thanks so much for your reply it really helps talking to some one who knows how I'm feeling.so I went back to my doctor yesterday and basically he told me that I can't come of painkillers just yet cause I'm still in pain most of the time from operations,he's just told me to taper down to prescribed dosage for now.he actually offered me tramadol but I refused them cause there worse than what I'm taking know and I know that I'd just end up taking both and be in a worse situation than I'm already in.i told my missus what's been going on which has been a great weight of my mind and she's gonna moderate how much I take which will help.so I'm just gonna get down to eight a day for know.thanks again for your reply debs it was really helpful.good luck too you hope your feeling better.
  • Posted

hiya pal

you need to go back to your doctors and ask him to lower your dose of the codine if he wont listen then you should think about changing doctors, i was in a similar situation to you but i have finally come off these nasty drugs after almonst 2 years of taking them, you might want to ask him/her for something to help with the side affects of lowering your dose, if you need anymore help please dont heasatate to message me

• Posted

Hi brydog,thanks very much for the reply it does ease my mind a bit talking to someone who knows how I'm feeling,so I went back to doctor yesterday and told him what's going on,basically he told me that I just need to taper down to the prescrib d dosage first to see where I'm at but as I'm still in pain most of the time from the operations he said there's no other way of coming of painkillers just yet he offered me  tramodol and I refused as I've heard these are even more addictive and harder to get off than the sh*t I'm taking now.so I'm just trying to come down to eight a day for know also I told my missus what's been going on and that's been a weight of my mind so she's gonna moderate how many I take.once again thanks for the reply pal it really helped.
  • Posted

Hi Lee, speaking as someone who understands you 100%, I am also a Codeine Addict, you need to see an alternative GP who will swap you from Co-codamol to Codeine Phosphate which is the same but with no paracetamol. They should then arrange a taper, dropping you by one pill per week or fortnight. Best of British x
    • Posted

And if you dont trust yourself with the full prescription, get your wife to issue them to you when they're due, otherwise your consumption WILL increase, mine did, from 8 co-codamol to 40 phosphate a day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.