Worried possible angina?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the last month I have been dealing with what may be anxiety related pain.

I am a 21 year old male who apparently judging by the tests is quite healthy.

This all started when chest pain came on while I was at work. It was stabbing and caught me off guard. I immediately panicked thinking that this could be something serious. I got in with my doctor the next day who diagnosed this as a muscle strain. Next day the pain moved more into my back and now I'm having painful upper back pain and chest pain have for the last month. The pain is more on the left side of my body which is even more scary and is a achey pain. I offten feel extremely tense and almost have a choking sensation in my throat. My chest feels tight when I exhale and don't immediately inhale. The acheyness is pretty constant but it seems to agrivate it when I get up and move around. I have tried hard to remain calm but still find myself obsessing over what this is as it is really playing into my life. When I go out with friends I find myself worrying about if it is heart related or something serious what would happen.

I have had multiple tests done including:

Lymes disease

Full blood count

Thyroid blood test

SED test

ECG

Chest X-ray

Vitamin D deficiency test.

Fibromyalgia pressure point test

All of these have come back perfect. So apparently I'm healthy? My doctor told me this last week he has checked off the list and thinks these pains could be a double edged sword of anxiety. Where I am scared this could be something else and that is making my pain worse. He prescribed me cymbalta and I have been taking that for the last two days. I understand that takes time to kick in so I don't expect instant results. Just wondering if this seems like it could be angina related or if I am just over reacting. In total I've seen more than one doctor now and been into the doctors 6 times over the last month.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm a 38 year old female have just been through a slew of these same tests myslef. It's odd because I would have chest pain and upper and lower back pain. Also I did have a heart attack at 36 then diagnosed with angina. I thought it was just more angina but had a heart cath again and it was completely normal. Then my psychiatrist increases my Wellbutrin doseage to 300 and all my pains went away after about 3-4 weeks. I could not believe how much anxiety/depression can give you so much physical pain. I also take xanex as needed. You should go talk to a psychiatrist and psychologist as well. It really does help!

• Posted

I think you're right. Thanks so much. This helped calm me down quite a bit. I wouldn't think that something like angina would be so constant and last so long. I mean I feel like at a month out if something major was going to happen it wouldve happened already.

• Posted

I had similar pains, it was dyspepsia... gas from bad nutrition, 1 week of meds, 6 months of diet and 12 kilos lighter, ALL symptoms are gone.

I do still suffer from Anxiety though...but now that angina is ruled out.,.I can concentrate on other irrational fears like cancer and horrible incurable disease...seems I get a new one every few months!

😊

• Posted

Lol! I totally feel you there. It's like on what way am I going to die today?

• Posted

Yeah, I'm 47 and still have this, from about 10 years old...

Only solution that works for me is beat the fear with exercise, I run 10 km a day, that works really well.

Drinking works also, on the day you drink...but after that the anxiety makes it worse...so not very effective!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.