Worried that I might have acute kidney failure from long-term use of antibiotics

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease in March last year and have been on various medications because of it, including Penicillin twice a day, beta blockers, COPD medications, antidepressants and antihistamines on top of a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement and iron pills for my anemia. Ever since I started taking these drugs, I have had more infections than I ever had before. I've had stomach issues, constant extreme gastritis, stomach ulcer, UTI and the last urine test that was done a couple months back showed albuminuria and epithelial cells in my urine. I'm just 22 years old and I am literally living like a old person. For the past few weeks, I have been noticing that my urine is very smelly and and I am constantly thirsty and my vision is getting blurry. For the past week I have been feeling extremely sleepy and sleeping a lot, taking multiple naps in the day. And also I am suffering from a stomach ulcer and constipation at the moment and I gained some weight. I have a metallic taste in my mouth and I keep eating constantly. Now today, I feel really sick, because I had a lot of fluids and foods and some medicine to help my digestion, but it has made me pee very concentrated urine, and in small quantities. I feel bloated and sick. Am i suffering from some form of kidney damage? I have had a lot of symptoms of CHF for a while, so I don't know, what to do at this moment. I need advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

if you think your kidneys are compromised have your doctor do a kidney function test. the test. will show if your having problems and how well your kidneys are functioning. Do not worry until you know for sure if you have a problem. I have stage 4 kidney disease. your kidney function can go up and down depending on your issue. let us know how your test comes out. Hopefully you won't have a problem but if you do, there are ways like diet to possibly help with your problem, depending on what exactly your issue is, if there is a issue. I wish you the best. keep us informed on what the test results show.
  • Posted

Kat, it is likely that most of the symptoms you are experiencing are side effects from your various medications.  Certainly my kidney function was recently compromised by taking the beta blocker, Bisoprolol, and before that the blood pressure drug, Indapamide.  Some of us are more sensitive to medicines than others.  Once anyone has kidney disease (I have Stage 3) many medications prescribed are for a short term and reducted duration. 

One thing you could do is to go to a good pharmacist and ask him/her to check all your medications for any contra-indications between any of

At the same time, ask your GP to refer you to a renal consultant/nephrologist for a thorough examination of your kidneys to put your mind at rest.

Sorry, we can't help any further - do seek advice from the medical experts, and good luck.    

• Posted

Hi,

You could have kidney damage but this would be picked up through your blood work.  Has anyone tested you for diabities?  

• Posted

Is it possible you could have a uti at present, might account for passing small amounts of strong urine and feeling sick and sleepy. l had taken anti biotics kefalex one daily for a few years as preventative to i.c. flare up and it did help with that, l also take pills for hbp, inhaler for copd, anti histamines for rhinitus and histmamine receptors for ic. Couple of years ag started to feel generally in deline, increasing tiredness, and sleepy with it, having less energy to do things, stamina non existent, along with it thirst, cant go more than 30min without drink, also blurry vision at times, sticky eyes. fuzzy headed and forgetful, a whole list of minor probs, adding up to generally feeling unfit, and also aged. Then months of constant nausea, bloating, a scope showed a bit of gastritus, given omprazole, also changed my diet, had gone off food withe the nausea and lost 2 stone, developed aversion to ready meals,canned food, milk eggs, cheese, just small plain meal in evening, and spring water. Whether omp or diet but nausea did settle 90percent, during that time l stopped taking the anti b and no meds other than essentials, hbp, the nausea settled but still the tiredness, sleepiness, off it in varying degrees daily,  Blood tests neg, speculated about fibromyalgia due to muscle ache in shoulders arms, also cfs, l a kidney scan showed a cyst on kidney but small and not a problem l,m told. l also get strong smelling urine, and had a couple of uti,s in last month with blood, At times l,m off food, other times hungry also crave chocolate. l think a lot of symptoms can indicate many probs other than kidney disease, but you probably need to take a sample into docs to checking. l know many do take anti bs long term for essential health probs, but l wonder at affect on body immune system, seems to me a lot of people have probs with immune system that shows up in multiple symptoms, then tests show neg causes. l; try to avoid anti bs, but if uti as recently no choice, also try to avoid pain killers, use gels, heat patches.  In the past ld to take ferrrous for aneamia, and after a year or so they turned my stomach nauseous, l think a lot of meds can affect our stomachs if not a good digestive system, you could try eliminating non essential meds if just for a week, take sample in, and ask for blood test. guess youve seen urologist, had scope, might be a bladder problem. or as stated diabetes can cause simular, its often getting gp to do tests to get a diagnoses, sounds easy, but often its not as you can read with other posters. Keep at them, bad enough at my age as an older person, at your age worse to feel so bad, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.