Worrying about Ovarian Cyst..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went for an ultrasound scan recently and my report says that there is a large hetergeneous mixed solid-cystic mass arising from the pelvis which extends superiorly and occupying much of the abdomen and prolapse over the uterus. The mass measured by ultrasound is 18.0x20.1x10.1 cm. I am currently very worried that it may be ovarian cancer. There is no signifcant internal calcification or increase in Doppler Colour Flow. The doctor are refering me to go for a CT scan soon. Can anybody tell me should i worry about this large mass that are currently in my body because the doctors did not actually explained my current situation to me. I am currently 22 years old. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I had a very similar thing happen to me at the start of the year, large 36cm cyst on my ovary which I have now had removed along with my right ovary and my cyst was malignant. To be honest they can't really tell you much until the ct scan at first my docs thought it was just ibs, had a ultrasound and they could only see fluid nothing else. So you are best off at the moment trying not to worry and wait to see what the results are of the ct scan!

I know it's easy for people to say don't worry because that's all you think about believe I've been there and it's still not all over for me yet but just take each day as it comes. Take care x

• Posted

Rosie, do you mind if I ask you what they told you about your cyst? Are you undergoing chemo? I'm inspired by you because of your positve attitude.

I feel scared about my 11.8 cm complex cyst. 

My original surgery date was June 13, but there was a cancellation and I was offered  June 9th.

• Posted

Hey Michelle, course you can!

So they found mucinous cancer cells in my cyst which is classed as stage one ovarian cancer. Now at the time of them telling me this I was in total shock and probably cried for about a week but they were really positive that they caught it all as my doctor said this type doesn't usually spread. So they offered me chemo but said as they think they caught it all they didn't want me to go through chemo until they were sure it hasn't gone anywhere else. So after they told me this I was then booked in for an endoscopy and colonoscopy as sometimes this type can be linked to the bowels. Had my tests and they didn't find anything else thank god! So now I am having another ct scan on July to make sure I have no more cysts growing and if I have any stomach pains which are out of the ordinary and are persistent, any changes in my bowels or my period I need to go get checked!

It is scary as its just the unknown but they can't really confirm anything until they have a look inside. I was in so much pain with this cyst I couldn't walk for long, it hurt to bend down, to lay down it was jus constant towards the end.

Just make sure if you are in any constant pain tell your docs etc straight away, take care and hope everything gets sorted for you xx

• Posted

Thanks Rosie. How old are you? I am 48 and have 5 children. My CA125 was 16. What was yours?

Thank you for your candidness and honesty with your last answer!

• Posted

That's ok. I'm not sure what my CA125 but it didn't show anything on that! I'm 31 and have no children!

Thank you ! X

• Posted

Hi Jo. Sorry to hear you are going through this. I thankfully have a different experience from Rosie.I had a complex cyst (part solid part fluid) with blood flow and high CA125 score (120) and went through similar tests, vaginal ultrasound, then CT scan then MRI before finally removed (cyst only) but it was all benign, thank God. Unfortunately, mine grew back again to the size of a melon and I have just had a full hysterectomy (for other reasons) and this time taken the cyst and ovaries too. Still waiting on second operation biopsies but the surgeon said he didn't see anything to alarm him. So sometimes these large cysts can be non-cancerous. Awful for other reasons, but not necessarily cancerous. I wish you all the very best, will be thinking of you.

Lesley.

• Posted

Lesley, how is your recovery going? What type of surgery did you have? You sound so positive. Thank you for your story.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply I shall have a positive thinking before I know my CT scan result smile
    • Posted

I am 10 days post op and feeling great. I had abdominal hysterectomy, bikini line. It was a 2 1/2 to 3 hour op, complicated because of adhesions caused by old endometriosis. I had just about everything going - ovarian cyst, adenomyosis, thickened uterine lining, fibroids, adhesions. I am just glad to have behind me.  Have already felt effects of menopause, hot sweats etc but nothing that is too problematic, and I'm up and around, walked to the doctors today. Just feeling tired whenever i do exert myself. So far I'm very pleased with the choice I made.  First time around, when I had he first cyst removed I was extremely worried - just as you and Jo are, but this time I've been far more relaxed about the whole thing.  It's easy to be of course when you've had one good result, but there are lots of good endings on this website. Hopefully yours will be too.  
  • Posted

Thank you Rosie and Lesley. It is so great to hear other peoples journeys. I don't feel as isolated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.