Worrying blood work

Posted , 2 users are following.

My lymphnodes came up in my neck 3 months ago, 3 weeks ago I noticed swelling under both armpits & a lump in groin.  I'm breathless, have a crazy cold nose all the time and shiver & sweat at night.  My bloods whilst not good do not show the usual low RBC or high WBC, in fact the opposite.  Is my Dr missing something?

I feel sure I have an underlying bone marrow problem.

IgM 2.6

IgG 7.4

IgA 1.3

WBC 2.9

RBC 4.88

Haemoglobin 136

MCH 27.9

MCHC 327

Potassium 5.2

Sodium 141

Total Protein 67

Lymphocytes 0.6

Monocytes 0.2

Eosinophils 0.1

Neutrophils 2.1

MCH 27.9

MCHC 327

Calcium 2.5

TSAT low 21

ESR 4

CRP <1

Creat 64

ANA neg

Ferritin 13

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Please, please go back to your doctor and INSIST on having a biopsy done on one of the swollen lymph nodes. If this is lymphoma the quicker you're diagnosed and start treatment the better. Please let me know how you get on. I have had Lymphoma and my blood tests were always normal.

• Posted

Thank you so much Joy. I have got an appointment for next Tuesday, thankfully with the best Doctor there.  Will let you know.
    • Posted

Please do, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Just out of interest, I had this fluidy type mass about 6-8 inches across appear on my lower back, the sacrum area in October, an X-ray said it was inflammation.  I thought this was a separate issue, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the two could be connected.  Have you heard of anyone getting something like this Joy?

• Posted

No I haven't, but if they did an x ray I would think anything serious would have shown up on that.

• Posted

Thanks or the reassurance Joy.
    • Posted

Hello Joy

Went to the Doctors yesterday and he very nearly sent me on my merry way, as "my bloods are all ok".  I said that I am concerned that my WBC is at it's very lowest now 2.9.  That my calcium has been creeping up & up and that my IgM is elevated which is consistent with Lymphoma WM.  With that he jumped on me taking my Low Dose Naltrexone privately for MS, blaming everything on that.  To cut a long story short he arranging for an ultrasound on my neck & groin and will take it from there.  It will be weeks before that happens.

I think all Doctors have been forced to reduce spending on tests & other things.  If they are going to rely solely on blood work, it will mean some will become very ill before they intervene. I have asked for copies of my blood tests for the last two years, which is how I know what is up & down. One minutes they are not interested in anything within normal range, but then when it's out, as in my IgM, out comes the excuses.  I give up.

• Posted

Please don't give up, you're moving slowly forward. Before I give you any advice it would be helpful if I knew where you live. Are you in UK?

• Posted

Yes Joy, I live in Kent.  Having battled with various Doctors over 30 years living with MS.  Had a total Colectomy through severe bleeding.  A Hemithyroidectomy, Ileostomy and SP Cath, I am in tune with my body and can feel something is not very right.
    • Posted

Hi. I live in Kent as well, small world. O.K., if you are not happy with the wait and the treatment (or lack of it) that you are getting contact PALS online. Patient advice and liaison services. They will advise you and intervene if necessary. Good luck and keep in touch so I know how you get on.
    • Posted

A very small world Joy.  Thank you for the PALS advice, will keep you posted.  Bless you.
  • Posted

I have urged my Doctor to speed up my ultrasound on the 27th Jan, but he's not budging.  If cancer is suspected, there is a two week pathway they can follow.  I have no idea why with all the enlarged areas around my neck and collarbone, the itching, chills & sweats and very short of breath, he refuses to see this as urgent.

The day before yesterday I decided to look down my throat, what a shock.  My throat has felt odd since last October, but as I have not been ill, I didn't bother looking.  But it looks like I have severe tonsillitis as they are smothered in large white patches.  This I understand could be another lymphoma indicator.  I had a chest X-ray done Monday and the radiologist said to me "if your symptoms worsen, go back your GP ASAP, as they can access the results straight away".  They have never said anything like that to me before.

I am furious with my GP as this week he told me my IgM is elevated because of my MS.  But I contacted my Neurologist and he said IgM has nothing to do with MS.  So once again my GP is ignoring this potentially red flag in my blood work.  My IgM was repeated after 8 weeks and it is still elevated.

Roll on the 27th !!!

• Posted

Meant to say 27th Feb 8 weeks on from GP visit
    • Posted

Hello again. Your doctor sounds incompetent to say the least. Is there another doctor you can see? You have enough to contend with having MS without the aggravation of trying to get a diagnosis for a possible cancer. Did you contact PALS?
    • Posted

Hello Joy.  I am worried if I go downs the PALS route, I will find myself having to move surgeries, which could be disastrous.  There are some really bad surgeries around me.  I am hoping to get my X-ray & latest FBC results on Mon/Tue.  I also sent a message to them Friday, asking for an urgent referral to Haematology on my Neurologists recommendation.  I will also have a quiet word with the Nurse Practitioner to see if they can do anything.

• Posted

Let me know how you get on. PALS have helped me in the past so keep them in mind. I don't know where in Kent you live but you must be very unlucky if you have several bad surgeries where you are. Keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.