Worse after prp.and stem cells in shoulder

Posted , 33 users are following.

Had partial left shoulder tear. It no longer hurt and I was able to do some things but not what I had been doing. Doctor suggested stem cells and prp. Had it a month ago and am I constant pain and it is worse than when I first injured shoulder. Could procedure have made it worse permanently? Very discouraged. 

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is prp?

• Posted

I tried to find what you said but only came up with platelet rich plasma.
    • Posted

For the platelet procedure a website said pain relief should start about three or four weeks after the injection, and that it is important to rest after the procedure. This is what it said - Patients may experience approximately two to three days of being sore and usually are prescribed pain medication. Patients need to rest for a few days or weeks after the treatment to not push the injected tissue too quickly. Typically, pain relief starts to occur within three to four weeks and continues to improve over a period of three to six months following an injection.  The recovery time frame varies depending on what we are treating.  Sometimes arthritic joints respond much faster to these injections than a patient being treated for tendonitis.

What advice were you given for after care?

• Posted

Sorry I meant platelet. I was told I could exercise but not lift anything or use my shoulder. It has been a month and really hurts more than it did when I first injured it. I also got stem cells in shoulder. 
    • Posted

It does sound from what I've read that what is happening is stimulation of the tissues to regenerate.  I think if it's been a month, and you haven't noticed any relief it's time to check back with your doctor.  It may be that you are responding very well to the type of treatment and it's the regeneration of the tissues which is causing pain - I'm only speculating, I really have no idea.  But it is certainly worth checking in case you've got something else going on, like a low grade infection or something.  Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Anne; sorry I have not heard of this treatment, so can't give any advice re same.  Am interested in any new treatments, although I don't thing my OA is anywhere near as bad as you are describing.  The main treatment that I underwent years ago, was Steroid injections into affected joints (which were many at the time....fingers/wrist/shoulders/hips/ankles/knees/ribs etc)....at the time it probably took about 3 injections into each site, over a period of months (can only have 3 different sites injected at one time, and then go back in another 3 months for repeat/other sites).   These I had probably 10 years ago (and did have a bad tendonites in L) arm, too)....but now today, I probably only get some annoyance in some fingers when typing etc...and survive on Osteo-panadol when this happens....probably for me the main pain is lumbar back area most of the time.   So if you find that the above doesn't settle for you, and you havn't tried the steroid injections, maybe this maybe an answer for your problems.   Sorry can't give an answer to the question you asked re the "permanency of the pain" that you have now; however, maybe someone else can, or seek another referral to another experienced  Orthopod (I like Sports' Orthos when I have problems....such as my tendonites...as they are very up-to-date with the best knowledge for particular joints that are affected by OA/Rhuematoid)............hoping you do find an answer that helps you, and am interested in what you do find/experience........................Bron

• Posted

my doctor says 3days/3 weeks/3 mos.  Inflamed for 3 days after, DO NOT TAKE NSAIDS! , just cold compresses; 3 weeks to feel some improvement; 3 mos for it to approach significant healing.  I am at 6 mos.  and have started to increase my activity level, still have arthritis, but seems to be lessening very slowly...
  • Posted

FYI, I had the exact same treatment, but here are the details for me.   Had a torn labrum on top of a worn out hip to boot, but pains were not strong and could avoid needing NSAIDS by taking it easy.  Found Atlantic Spine and Joint Institute down the road from me, and they did the cortico-steroid shot to flush the inflammation, then 5 hyalaronic lube shots followed by another cortico, all a week apart.  After a few weeks contemplation and feeling the improvement from the lube shots, I started in on a the stemcell-PRP treatment.  First shot a placental stem cell shot and PRP mixture, followed up by 2 PRP shots a month apart.  Now at about 4mos from my last shot, getting strongly over the 50% better mark, just did a 5mi day on the pedometer, no major arthritic pain noted.  Have minor twinges and poss. muscle weakness.  had a few arthritic episodes since the last shot that made me think things were not working, but now optimistic, and things just heal at a snails pace.  But I had a hip replacement on the other side and you can say the same for that cycle.  I do not expect the stem cell joint to be as strong as the titanium-poly joint, but hoping it gets somewhat back to normal still...  Doctor has anecdotal evidence that healing goes on for up to a year after...
    • Posted

I would love to talk to you more about your experience as I just had a PRP shot about 5 weeks ago in my hip and worry about it not working. 
  • Posted

You have to remember, until the stem cells sneak in the new cartilage you still have arthritis.  Once you past the initial inflammation of the shot, its OK to take NSAIDS again.  My doctor said, don't just take 1 here or there when you get a problem, take them at the recommended dosage for several days or a week to flush out the inflammation.  

• Posted

My doctor said never use heat, just ice packs to kill inflammation.  looks like you should be well over the month mark, so hopefully things are clearing up for you now.  should be clear for use of NSAIDS.  hopefully you do not need to take them continuously.  Maybe something wrong then...  I found accupressure and massage helpful on stressed inflamed muscles that clamp the joint, causing more pain and inflamation, putting you in a vicious cycle.  
  • Posted

Doctor likes to say, "the stem cells are the seeds and the PRP is the fertilizer."

• Posted

Hi Anne. My name is Meredith. I just had PRP in my lumbar spine in 2-8-17, 2 weeks ago, and I feel worse than prior to the procedure. I was wondering how you're feeling now? If better, how long did it take for you to see/feel results ?

Has anyone had here had lumbar spine PRP? I'm trying to figure out if this pain is normal or if something else is wrong .

When walking/standing more than 20 minutes ALL of my toes in my left side go numb and feels like i havr frostbite . Then my lower back feels like it's crushing down on top of itself. It takes 30 minutes to hours with pain medication to recoverify from that small amount of walking.

Anyone, please help.

• Posted

Hi Meredith,

Has this gotten better for you yet? On Monday, I had PRP in my butt and low back. My butt seems to be doing better, but my low back feels like it hurts more than it did before the injection rolleyes please update me!

• Posted

Hi Meredith,

Did PRP ever work for you? I am 6 weeks post PRP today in mutt lumbar (L5-S1 and around my alon spine) and have the same symptoms as you. I'm in worse pain than before I had the procedure. I was told that you experience maximum benefits of PRP in the first 4 to 6 weeks. Which is disheartening. I met with my doctor this week who said we would reevaluate after 3 months post procedure on what steps to Take next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.