worsening osphagus after 2 weeks omeprazole

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone give me some hope

In last few weeks have been suffering with uncomfortable/sore osphagus feel like I have lump in throat ,sore throat & was put on omeprazole which hasn't helped so far maybe it's bit worse.

I have recently had heart tested & am being referred to cardiologist because of fast heart beat!

I'm also very very anxious person especially as my dad died of osphagus cancer at 42 ( i'm 44)

I'very had ok ecgs & bloods are good I'm so confused what's going on with me & worried out my head I have same as my father. My family are at their wits end because i'm permantly in tears!

Any insight or help would be so greatly received Emma

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hang on in there ejc... deep breaths .... Unless you have acid reflux the sore throat could be globus which can be brought on by stress . The throat is often the first place that tightens up when stressed . I'm on Omaprazole and I'm convinced that they give me a sore throat ..but I also have Gastritis and I can feel acid coming up . But when I am callm a nd I have tried to come off Omaprazole ..my throat feels better .Try a different one ..I'm going to ask to go on Nexium . I went to a top consultant and he told me to suck a sweet for the globus !! That was one very expensive sweet 😂
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Alison . Yes I will go back to doc & see if I can try a different ppi . Anything is worth a try! The thing is I don't actually feel any acid coming up or have a bitter taste in my mouth like some people report. I also feel part of it could be globus so will keep some sweets to hand! Emma x
  • Posted

Emma we don't all get cancer with reflux. Try and relax, practice calming, it's best to be like this in any situation. The acid will increase with anxiety. It is important to Research, foods you should avoid and foods you should eat. This makes a vast difference to the acid reflux. The feeling in your throat could be excessive anxiety.

Think of things that would help you to stay calm and keep your mind off the worries. 

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth . Your 1st comment made me really think & your right - I just need to try & adopt this way of thinking more often!! My nerves always get the better of me its hard but I'm gunna try like you say Emma x

• Posted

I went through same thing...Took FOREVER for my esophgus to heal...Are you eating carefully???? Are you proped up at night while sleeping???

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important. The acid will just sit in your espohogus

It took me a good 2 months to feel better and I still dont feel a 100%

• Posted

Hiya thanks for replying. What was wrong with your osphagus? Did you have any tests?

Yes I'm sleeping quite high on lots pillows.

I think the digestive system does take long time to heal when damaged. I just always think the worst scenario & convince myself that's what I have! Nerves are frayed!

Emma x

• Posted

Hi Emma I've had every test going.. the one for the throat was an Endoscopy .which revealed gastritus ...don't worry if you have to have an Endoscopy ..ask for sedation and you'll be out for the course I don't remember a thing .another test which was through an EN T doctor ..you could ask for that test where they look at your throat top part with a small camera .. I've had ultra sounds CT scans and x Rays all come back clear ... Do try to get anxiety under control ..ask for some CB T therapy which does help. Anxiety can cause physical problems and it becomes a vicious circle . One bit of advice .. don't stay on Omaprazole for too long 2 or 4 weeks .. I never had the symptoms I have now before I started on these tablets . Why has your GP put you on them ... if nothing has been found then they shouldn't be prescribed. If you have heart burn or acid start with Gavison Advanced ... ..but you must ask GP and take their advice everyone is different . Look at your diet ..maybe avoid spicy acid foods and fizzy drinks ... eat small regular meals andleave 3 hours after last meal before bed .Also raise your bed by 6 or 8 inches .. use blocks or books .. Pillows only raise your head which puts pressure on stomach ..it's the wrong angle . GOOD LUCK ..V don't worry all will be well .
    • Posted

I'be had endoscopy twice before years go for different symtoms but they want me to try omeprazole for 4 week's before referring me for endoscopy. He put me on them because I told him I was experiencing uncomfortable osphagus bit burny feeling . So they r guessing its something like acid relux. i'm sure omeprazole make my throat sore!

I have been taking gaviscon (not same time as omeprazole) & find it helps a bit.

Glad you mentioned about pillows - I will raise bedhead now! Thanks Alison for your words - Emma x

• Posted

The wedge pillows work WAY better then the pillows...the pillows throught the night start shifting and flattening...Just FYI
  • Posted

hi Emma,

​so sorry you are going throug this its awful.

​Are you getting any help with your anxiety ?

After a period of anxiety i developed globus and was reffered to ent for reassurance.

He discovered acid reflux but like you i didnt know i had it.

I took pantoprazole for 15 weeks with no improvement and in fact i feel it made thigs worse.

I am having help for my anxiety and am presently trying other methods to reduce my reflux.

​Sometimes ppi's take time to work and there are other things to try, i hope you get sorted soon, it feels as if it takes over your life sometimes

• Posted

Hello Shelly thank you for your message. Yes having an awful time at mo

The only help I'm getting is docs giving me leaflets on contacting 'positive steps' I havn't yet also put on citalapram antidepressant.

Doc says to give omeprazole time to work but with my anxiety so high i'm wondering how much of my symptoms are because of it!

Yes this is defo taking over my life at mo .

Sorry you are also suffering - if you don't mind me asking what help are you getting for your anxiety? Emma x

• Posted

Hi Emma, sorry for the delayed reply ive been away.

Im on sertraline an antdepressant and am waiting for a call from the mental health team to discuss therapies.

I'm hoping for cognitive behaviour therapy.

​Since coming of ppi's i feel my globus is improving a little but not got my reflux sorted yet.

​How does your doc know you have reflux ? x

• Posted

Hi Alison,

​   i am trying to manage with Gaviscon after meals when needed and also Silicolgel which i got on reccomendation from Holland and Barett, you swallow it before meals and it reduces acid and coats your stomach lining.

Also trying to note which foods set it off.

My plan is to stay off PPi's for a month.

At the moment i think i feel a bit better but still have bad days were i get an awful feeling of trapped wind in my stomach and throat.

​Before the pantoprazole i had no symptoms of reflux except globus so im not sure if they have upset my system or i would have developed the worsening symptoms anyway, so very confused

• Posted

Well done. For trying to stay off PPI It's so drain ing ..I've been on and off Omaprazole since January 16 ..my symptoms change almost every week At moment I have got the sore throat back and funny taste in mouth my tongue feels numb and it feels as if I've lost my taste but it's OK when I eat this week I'm getting horrid bloating at the end of the day and I'm eating very small meals It feels as if the Acid is coming to the back of my throat and irritating it.So I'm on 20mg Omaprazole and Gavison tablets . Good luck ..have you just stopped or are you cutting down .keep in touch ..like to know how you are managing .
    • Posted

Hi Shelly Well he dosn't know he's gone purely on symtoms! I went again yesterday & he's putting me in for an endoscopy. Have to wait for the appointment now.

Do u have osphagus symtoms as well as throat?

I'm finding gaviscon helps slightly but the biggest help would be if I could think more positively!

I think your right cbt I need new way of thinking about things! Emma x

• Posted

Alison everything you say there is me to a tee at the mo. Symptoms change but are horrid. I think gaviscon helps abit too. Do u have osphagus discomfort at mo ? Emma x
    • Posted

Hi ejc .. Ive had every test and all come back clear ...but I'm scared that the persistent sore throat is doing more damage since my tests .They won't retest me with an Endoscopy for 2 years my GP said !!! Toady I've had sore throat all morning but just had lunch and it seems better . One thing that happens to me which I would be interested if others find it ...when my throat gets so bad I go to GP afterwards it seems better which tells me it linked to stress .When I went to Consultant he said that you can get anxiety Globus ... lump in throat . I'm doing mindfulness relaxation xxx
    • Posted

Well Alison 2 years is a long time but as usual I expect it's down to finances!

My throat does sometimes get bit better after eating but for me personally it dosn't after seeing doctor although I know nerves are part of the problem.

I have breathlessness with mine & it's quite scary when I have both which is alot at mo!

You must get some joy in knowing your tests have come back clear. How do you do your mindfulness relaxation? With a cd? Emma x

• Posted

Hi Alison, sorry to hear about your horrid symptoms.

I just came off pantoprazole without reducing it as my doctor said it would be fine, depite me being concerned re a pedulum effect.

​I wouldn't recomend coming straight off though, i still hink it's probably better to  gradually come off them.

​This week i have had a feeling of pressure in the top of my stomach and throat. it can be relieved a bit by chewing whitening gum, eating and gaviscon. I am also trying something called Silicol which i got from holland and baretts. It's costing me a fortune

• Posted

Hi Emma,

yes my symptoms involve my oesophaus as well as stomach and throat.

​Before i started on pantoprazole i just had a lump in throat feeling ;(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.