worsening reflux oesophagitis despite medication

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, just want to share my experience in case people can reassure me., I have been seeing a doctor and also Gastro enterologists over the years for an answer to acid reflux, and bile reflux with oesophagitis and gastritis.  I recently lost my Mum and have been under a lotmore emotional stress. It may just be coincidence, but my symptoms have worsened, in spite of being on 40mg Omeprazole.  I am due to return to the doctor soon, but am dreading another endoscopy.  I fear the worst.  From the horror stories I read about fundoplication, it does not seem like a good option, just a last resort.  I wonder also if people have gastrectomies to prevent damage to the oesophagus?  I have been drinking very strong tea and coffee, which are definitely a no no, but am trying not to.  I find it very difficult to cope with no caffeine and get really bad withdrawal.  Any ideas?  The worry keeps me awake from 3am every night.   

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Geraldine I totally understand your fear of flundification  its a horrible procedure based on those that have had it but there are other things you can have too.  I did and my symptoms mirrored yours

i hope you can draw comfort from this.   You can get better 

• Posted

Hi Geraldine, I have silent reflux so I can understand what you are going thru, I wanted to tell you that you should never go off coffee cold turkey as the withdrawal

can be overwhelming, what i did was use a little less each day, meaning if you normally have two cups a day start with one and a half cups for a couple of days then take it down to one cup per day and then after several days a half a cup, and it should be so much easier that way until you no longer need the caffeine, and then you can drink decaff coffee. Good Luck and feel better.

• Posted

CINDI

That is helpful re caffeine. I have been warned about coffee and tea. I am trying no coffee and weaker tea..or half caff sometimes

many thanks

• Posted

The more you worry about it the worse it will get, in your mind just tell it to sod off, ask your doctor to change to lapranazoke and gaviscon, taking gaviscon the very last thing at night before your shut your eyes works really well, I have had thus and hiatal hernia for years and years, just got over really bad flare up as decided to come off pills, and had anti biotics for chest infection, w,hitch akwYs gives me acid probs, couldn't breath with it ...the acid that is, but pills now put it right again but it's the gaviscon last thing at night and glass of water just before it , that's helping loads x
    • Posted

Thanks a lot...that helps.

I am seeing doc next week and will ask re meds.

i know constantly focusing on it doesn't help

am trying gentle exercise

sitting a lot also makes it worse

hope yours continues good.

X

• Posted

Geraldine,

Have you tried a really drastic change to the low acid and low fat diet described by Dr. Kaufman?  With that you can have one cup of coffee in the morning. Thank God, so no withdrawal.  The diet has helped me tremendously and I don't take any drugs.  

Late night eating is the worst for me and always causes reflux, so following her advice of no food for three hours before bed, even four really helps me.  The book is "Dropping Acid, The Reflux Diet and Cookbook Cure."  It has really, really helped.

Susan

• Posted

Susan

Thanks for that

I will see if I can get the book. Diet is a big factor

as I also have hiatus hernia it is unlikely I will totally get rid of symptoms but any relief is a help.

one has to be very disciplined in this and sometimes if you are with company or on a holiday keeping to those times is hard;especially  not eating 3 hours before bed.

i will try anyway

Geraldine

• Posted

So sorry for your loss!!!  Fear not. It's surely the coffee and tea--drink chamomile tea instead--it has no caffeine.  If you eliminate tose--you will feel better!  Meditate and try guided imagery to help with your levels of stress.  You must eliminate bad foods so you can heal, then slowly after 6 months of abstinence from the culprit acidic problem foods, try bringing them back and see if you can tolerate them again, but until you heal, you are just making the gastritis worse and worse.
    • Posted

Hi

thanks for the reassurance

i will be doing all I can. I really want to get better- it will be such a relief. 

Geraldine

• Posted

Hi Geraldine

Have you tried peppermint tea? It's really goo for the system smile

• Posted

Claire

yES  I tried peppermint tea

I have always had a proB lem with any herbal teas ...it's to do with the hot water..it actually makes the acid worse and i have to add milk so really it doesn.t work for me

I used to be a 2 teabag pg tips girl like my dad...very strong tea which now I can't do! In fact I am just having weak tea or water with milk.Not exciting but it is the best I can do. Chamomile is equally bad and quite nauseating. Shame as so many people recommend it. Thanx for your interest

• Posted

Hi Geraldine, I understand how you feel because I went through the same kind of experience. Recently, I started taken cold press Siberian pine nut oil and in just one week, my condition improved and I think that I am on my way to full recovery.

You may wish to do your own findings on this natural product. The key word is Siberian pine nut oil. I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery. Stay blessed

• Posted

hi

i too have had terrible problems with reflux but it is now under control with omeprazole and an anti depressant for anxiety. Have tea and toast at bedtime it really does help to soak up the acid for the night. I didn't give up coffee i switched to proper ground stuff, no problems at all but if i have a cup of instant it irritates, i don't think it's the caffeine i think it's the chemicals used in the instant that is the problem. Don't eat chocolate again there is a chemical in it that causes the sphincter to relax. Avoid too much dairy like milk and cheese, peppermint that people recommend i always found made me worse i too could never get to grips with herbal tea. You could try decaf tea bags but again i don't know about the chemicals in it. If you just used one pg tip bag and let it brew moderately rather than mash it should help, i found it was the tannin that irritated me not the caffeine, i also can't tolerate a glass of milk find it upsets it but i can manage the instant hot chocolate drinks don't know if it's because it's powdered milk etc. Don't go on a strict diet, i found the stress of worrying about what i ate made it worse so it is better to adapt your eating habits with subtle changes, Once you start to get some relief you will soon be able to identify which foods to avoid.

As for having toast at bedtime, i found that when i lay down i could be often woken up with searing pain of reflux which i can only describe as someone pouring a hot kettle the wrong way into your stomach so that it seeped up through the oesaphagus across your back and chest in incredible pain. If this happens the acid has already done it's damage so takes several days to heal and then the next attack is worse as it's on an already scarred intestine. tea and toast at bedtime and again for breakfast really does work to break the cycle.hope this helps

regards

marian

• Posted

Hi Geraldine, has an of this worked. I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, but none of the usual tablets have worked. Omizaprzole, lansoprsole, rantidine. I was given painkillers, codeine, told to take paracetamol.....my symptoms are getting worst and the doctors and professsionas have ganged together int makingme believe I have anxeity and stress. Which I have because they are choosingthe easy optioninstead of finding the cause. I am aching, across body, waking up at night after a couple of  hours. Chest/abdomin pains are excruchiating. pacing about in the dark is so depressing. i have had a lump in the throat forthe las 3 months, sometimes it burns and I try and drink water wit lemon to calm the thoart but worry in case that is making the stomach acid situation worst. I also am not digesting food properly. so am weak and n no longer do any exercise? Do you have theslast symptoms too? I lie propped up witht pillows otherwise the chest burns is worst at night. 
    • Posted

Hi Vinodinio I had very bad burping/ belching problems along with pain in my back and a pharmacist told me sounded like I wasn't digesting my food properly so now I take digestive enzymes 3x a day and the burping and back pain have disappeared. I have lots more energy now and don't feel so depressed. I am on 40mg of pantoprazole but haven't been getting better either as far as heartburn and sore chest go. Anxiety may be an issue ( my doctor seems to think so) so I am trying to stay as calm as possible. I TAKE DGL , sleep on my left side and have my bed propped up. Eat  2-3 hours before bed and don't drink for an hour after meals
    • Posted

Calcium carbonate tablets can cause very very bad stomach acid by fooling the stomach that it is too alkaline so the stomach kicks back by producing far too much acid and this really hurts!

Answer = stop ALL calcium carbonate and trick the stomach into believing that it is too acid with the phosphoric acid in coca cola. The stomach thinks it's too acidic and so produces LESS acid. It works quickly.

ALL THE BEST

ps

do not get addicted to coca cola just normalise your stomach then drink it maybe once a week IMO.

• Posted

Hello vinodini I wonder how are you getting on? My reflux is 24/7 on lanzeprazole 60mg. Only started 8 weeks ago but worsening every minute....why would doctors think anxiety make it worse? I reflux even if I have not eaten....any advice from you?
    • Posted

hi,

Do you still suffer from lump in your throat? if cured what did you do then,thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.