Worsening symptoms - away from home

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am visiting and helping my elderly parents and have felt much worse since I arrived a couple of days ago.  I have what I have been told is also chronic bronchitis but I never cough or have any mucus.  SO I think the worsening is form the emphysema.  I felt great before I left but ever since the loing flight I do not feel well.  I am more sob and have a headache.   Nevcer felt this badly before.  I bought a pulse ox and am between 94-97, mostly 96.  I am ag=raid I decompensated from flying.  I am shocked,actually. if this isi the result.

If you do get worse from flying I realize I may have needed oxygen, but was nowhere near that before this.  I mentioned flying to my primary doctor and he did not see a problem.  Will my symptoms improve after a few days? I have to fly again next week.  Very concerned especially because I have no doctor here and am taking catre of my parents.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can't help much, only to say that you are entitled to see the Doctor local to your parents while you are staying there, if you feel very unwell.
  • Posted

Hi Maryterese.

Do your parents live at a higher altitude than where you normally live?  I recently experienced increased SOB and headaches when I went from 7,000 feet to 10,000 feet (I live in Colorado, USA and we have hugh altitude differences depending on where you are visiting....anywhere from 5,280 feet to over 14,000 feet)

• Posted

Fairly new to this site, is SOB, shortening of breath?  Thanks.
  • Posted

Oops........I meant Maryterese.  Let us know how you do and if you go back to what was more normal for you before you went to your parents.
  • Posted

THank you to everyone for their thoughts.  The difference in elevation is not too great.   I think what may tell is how I feel after the next flight.
  • Posted

Could it be that there is a lot more air pollution where your parents live? Either due to industry or lots of traffic. I'm sure it's what makes me worse. All the best,
  • Posted

Hi,  your symptoms sound very much like mine.  A savvy nurse gave me a blood test which showed My body is producing too many red blood cells and a further test proved I also have Polycythaemia which creates severe SOB and headaches. Blood thinning tablets, Clopidogrel Zentiva, an alternative to daily aspirin, has been very effective and my SOB and headaches have decreased by over 50%. I understand you have to ask specifically for this blood test as COPD can cause production of too many red blood cells. Unfortunately, when you have COPD everything is blamed on it  and this test can be overlooked. Good luck
  • Posted

Your symptoms seem the same as mine which I suffered fo many years, including a high oximeter reading.

A nurse arranged for me to have a blood test which shows I have Polycythemia, an excess of red blood cells, possibly caused by my COPD, or, as you call it, Emphysemia and Bronchitis  I was prescribed a blood thinning tablet called.Clopidogrel Zentiva which is an alternative to the normal small aspirin most people are prescribed.

The effects have been marvelous,  and Most of my severe symptoms have eased dramatically or disappeared.

I suggest you request this blood test.  Nothing to lose.

The problen, in my experience, is that most GPs attribute nearly everything to any existing lung disease you have.

• Posted

Thank you Wullly and all who responded. I will look into that.

In the meantime I must say that for the last week or so, while I am still away and caring for my parents, I feel very little sob and generally feel great. I don't know what to make of it but it is great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.