Worst surgery ever

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery two years ago and still dealing with the pain. Not so much with the Buion area, but around my toes especially when I wear any kind of heels. Sometimes, I can't even get my foot in a shoe if it has an arch (pumps). It seems like my foot is swollen all the time. The pain after surgery is very very BRUTAL!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had surgery January this year and mostly all is fine except I ended up fracturing my second toe on the same foot about two months ago which didn't help things. I know the pain is really bad but I'm going back for my second operation next week on my other foot as I know if I don't I will end up a cripple. I am now 58 and as you get older it takes longer to heal in general. I have never even dreamt of wearing pumps or heals ever again. The thought of it makes we wince.

• Posted

Good luck to you. I was going to have surgery on my right foot after I did my left foot, but after 2 years, and still having the pain after wearing shoes, I'm good not to have it done. Like you said, the older we get, I believe the worst it is to heal up. I'm now 56, so not wanting to be miserable for the next two years.

• Posted

LOL, oh you made me laugh but really I want to cry. I'm almost 4 months since bunion and metatarsal surgery, and walking around but with a bad limp. My entire gait is off, my foot and ankle are always swollen, these issues all caused my arthritis in my knees to flare up, and I can barely stand for over 10-15 minutes. It's horrible! It gets me down thinking maybe I shouldn't have had this surgery but before it was painful to walk around even in sneakers for any length of time. My bunion was a daily burning agony, so I needed to do this but sometimes think I should have researched more. I'm also 54 and feel too young to be miserably hobbling around.

• Posted

Wow, I have said the same thing...wondering if I should have NOT had the surgery. But, too late now. I really don't walk normal either. My big toe and the second toe are very stiff. I wore boots the other night, and by the end of the night, my foot was killing me. So, all I can say is that I'm dealing with it. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through so much pain. Here's another laugh for you. Please don't ever let me be a spokesperson for bunion surgery, because their ass would go BANKRUPT...lol.

• Posted

Hi Michou1313

Seems like you've had a butchered operation which needs fixing by another orthopaedic surgeon who has a marvelous reputation. Best checking around seeing who is the best surgeon by contacting the medical board for information. Seems like you've got nerve damage which happened to me over 10 years ago by a shoddy surgeon until I found one who did the job well but it was my fault leaving the spacer between my toes for too long causing a wide space once the bones had set. Now I'm having more surgery on December 6.

I'm wishing you all the very best of luck getting your foot fixed ASAP.

Also it's best not wearing heels higher than two inches so that you're not putting pressure on your large toe. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi michou1313. Well im 3 days post op my second surgery on my other foot bunion removal and a pin in second toe to straighten it as it was broken. I had a feeling for some reason that this surgery would go much better than the last. Guess what? So far so good. I have not had much pain so far mind you Iv'e hardly walked but remember last time laying on the couch whimpering in pain. Anytime I feel anything I take a pain killer and gone. Hope I'm not speaking too soon though. The pin sticking out of my toe is a worry so am very cautious when moving about. I have told myself that I have to really look after myself this time and not push too much as I think I did last time. Have an appointment 15 December whereby I will probably have my stitches removed but the pin remains for 6 weeks. Hoping all is well and that things get better.

• Posted

How far is the pin sticking out of your toe Sharon? Are you wearing a Darco boot protecting your foot and is it bandaged?

I've got K-Wires in three of my toes which will be removed under a local anaesthetic on January 15. Two are fairly close to the skin and the other is embedded in the skin which is a worry. My surgeon said that if he can't remove them easily, he will do so in hospital under a general anaesthetic. My foot is bandaged with it being changed every three days at the medical centre keeping my foot clean.

• Posted

Hi Goanna57 My pin is sticking out by about a centimetre with a big bobble on top. If I could post a picture I would. I'm scared of what it may feel like to have it removed. Hopefully like you I will be given some form of anaesethetic. Well good luck with the removal and everything!

• Posted

Hi Sharon

You're lucky having bobbles on top of your pins which I don't have. One of the pins isn't visible because the skin has grown over it. 16 more days before they're removed. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

O'h my the skin has grown over it!!!! Did they tell you that would happen? It is 18 more days til mine is removed. Good luck to you also

• Posted

No I wasn't told it would happen but it has. My GP said the surgeon will have to make a small cut in the toe after having a local anaesthetic so he can pull the wire out. I'm going to call him tomorrow asking what is the best thing to do because he said if they were deep, it would admit me into day surgery having a general anaesthetic removing them. Best of luck with yours being removed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.