would like to know whether TOS effect pregnancy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have two cervical ribs, docters said to under go operation.

Kindly some one reply whether operation will effect pregnancy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

would like to know whether TOS effect pregnancy
  • Posted

Not really a great idea especially if your in your 1st trimester... They could cover the baby with lead for any imaging you need (x-ray ect)...Anesthesia could use medication that is safer for a fetus but it will cross over to the baby. You are likely having a flare up of TOSv or TOSa because your body produces more blood ( I think about 20-33% but don't quote me) on top of the swelling which could be adding pressure to the nerve. If it's TOSn try a stretching massage or have your husband push down on the scalenes under your collar bone while stretching your neck.... I ended up with a chest tube a lot of people end up with collapsed lungs (baby could end up short on oxygen)...the post op pain will keep you in bed on the couch or at minimum less active than otherwise-plus you will be on pain meds not great for the baby.....the decrease in activity puts you at risk for DVTs/blood clots (especially because your body has all that extra blood for the pregnancy) this could give you a pulmonary embolism if it traveled or God forbid a clot blocked the umbilical cord( that's probably mostly impossible)...you will be on a course of steroids after surgery(not good for the baby) during the operation you lay flat on your back depending on the stage of your pregnancy this could pressure on your aorta, nerves, fetus ect causing more damage or they have to put you in a awkward position for the surgeon....it seems like a unnessasary risk... Unless you have TOSa and then you have to have the surgery which I'm guessing is a possibility since the surgeon is willing to operate on you while your pregnant... Well I could keep going but I gotta go good luck!

• Posted

I don't know why I read surgery, no it shouldn't effect your pregnancy other than the swelling (usually mostly lower extremities though) could increase the pressure on your nerves and the increase in blood or swelling could cause a increase in venous distention or pain

Good Luck!!

• Posted

You were right she does ask about an operation.

I'd be surprised if they'd think it wise whilst pregnant. Unless there's a vascular problem, it seems prudent to wait until the baby's born.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.