wweight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on levothyorixe 88 for hypothyroidism and the weight is making me depressed I tried everything need some help

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kalishia, there are many things you can do to help yourself deal with the thyroid disease.

levo doesn't work for everyone, and whatever meds you have need to be dosed right. Unfortunately, dosing is extremely difficult.

In addition to the meds, you need a stellar diet, very clean, high protein and cooked veggies, as well as good multivitamin and minerals. Gluten free diet is also very important because, gluten triggers the auto immune disease that causes thyroid problems. No cheating on this. No gluten, period, not even trace amounts.

Back to your weight gain. Is it since you've been on the meds, or is the weight gain caused by hypothyroidism? Some of the medications for hypothyroidism will cause weight gain. If it causes weight gain worse than the hypothyroidism, you probably want to try a different medication.

• Posted

I think it's thyroid I can't tell so many symptoms dry hair,weight gain,maybe I need more bloodwork

• Posted

Hi Kalishia.

Catherine has given you a lot of excellent advise. Very high protein diet. protein powder shakes made with fruit and then frozen are delicious

Do you know what you TSH, T4, and T3 levels are?

Unfortunately the thyroid medication changes you make today do not begin to show up in your blood for 6 weeks. 88 mcg of Levothyroxine is a low dose. We all begin low and over time our physicians increase the dose to our body's need

I truly understand your frustration. I lost my thyroid to cancer, had radiation therapy.

We have a fabulous group here...welcome

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Kalisha good advice from 5mtviewcatherine. I follow Slimming World very low fat very low sugar gluten free. I have lost 5st on this healthy eating plan. I have had hypothyroidism for 20 years now. I have always found that the trick is not to eat rubbish when you are tired. Always have something healthy in the fridge. It does take a while to get into this mindset. I did mine gradually. Fantastic support from the S/W image therapy. They have helped many people with thyroid problems to control their weight. Hope some of this helps.
    • Posted

So glad. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It is difficult to remain positive at times, but I find when I am eating properly, I have much more energy to cope. I used to beieve that once I started taking a 'pill' for my condition I would be fine again-not so.

• Posted

Its similar to Weight Watchers as in it uses group therapy, but there the similarities end. Slimming World food Optimises by using very low fat very low sugar recipes. This means you can have a larger portion of a healthy meal to keep you satisfied. You dont get hungry. It does work. You are advised to have healthy extras every day. 2 dairy or dairy substitute if you are lactose intolerant and one breakfast bread or porridge or cereal or a gluten free substitute. Lots and lots if veggies and fruit as much as you can eat. Thats basically it. You do need to cook from scratch no ready meals. You can eat out but you must remember the less than 3% fat and sugar rule. Don't know what you can find out about S/W online but I live by it. S/W has transformed my energy levels. If I eat off plan I feel sluggish. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi I know what you mean I just had my baby 3 months ago and I did not lose any weight from my pregnancy and I'm on levothyroxine 0.5 mcg I'm also taking Phentermine for weight loss and it's not even helping a tad bit... I'm feeling very depressed also..I took Phentermine before.... And I had a thyroid issue then... And this was right before I got pregnant again and I had lost 12 pounds in two weeks... So it worked for me previously .... but this time around it is not even helping at all!

• Posted

I feel your pain. You and I are on the same dosage for Levo. I had a benign tumor in the pituitary gland that damaged my thyroid.

Although, I do feel better than when I first started treatment. I just can't shed the weight.

Any updates?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.